Chapter 59: Mono, Part One

Deep within the green forest on a hot, summer day, the birds chirped and sang. Through the treetops the sun shone through the branches and leaves, dappling the ground with rays of gold. The heart of the forest, far from human civilization, was a part of what is known as 'The Wilds'. Unexplored and untouched by human hands, nature reigned supreme.

Babbling brooks, moss-covered boulders, ravines, cliffs, lush forests and grassy knolls with colorful wildflowers that filled the air with a sweet aroma, it was a peaceful place. Untouched by humans. Untouched by the Church.

Of course, in eleven years, the Wilds would become home to a group of human refugees, whom had been exiled. These refugees would be Vao, Verde, Alice, Tim, and Chuck. And in twenty-one years, the battle of the Royal Capital would take place.

Yin and Vao were still yet to separate, both of them only seven years old. Yin was no doubt at Church, praying to the God of Light. And Vao... He was most likely being chased around town by his mother with a shovel.

But they were not yet known to the Wilds, nor were they as infamous as they were in the modern day. They certainly weren't known by the seven year old that was pushing her way through the bushes. Not yet, at least.

The beetle scurried across the ground in a panic, two small fingers pinching the insect and lifting it into the air. One big grey eye stared down at the helpless bug, matched with a happy smile.

This girl with the dirty clothes is named Mono Chroma. A young monoeye living in a hidden village with her species, she is seven years old. The same age as Yin and Vao.

"You can't outrun me," she said to the insect. "I didn't even need to stop time..."

Most girls her age would find bug-catching to be disgusting, but Mono was... Different. She didn't really get along very well with the other girls in school. Or the boys.

Squinting at the sun through the treetops, she tried to take a guess at the time. Midday, perhaps? Lunch was soon, then. The little monoeye looked back down at the beetle, watching it's legs scramble in the air, trying to wriggle free.

"I have to go for lunch. I'll catch you again later, bug."

Her fingers released on the beetle, the insect flying away in a heartbeat. Mono waved at the beetle before turning, making her way deeper into the forest. Where was she going?

Back to her village, of course. A small town, really. This far into the Wilds, nonhumans had their own towns and villages, though they were usually very far apart and not very populated. Mono's village, for example, only had ninety-two residents, including herself. At least there was a school, where the children received a basic education in math, history, and science.

It was a village of monoeyes, like her. It had been that way for centuries, now. All ninety-two residents were monoeyes; no other species resided here. Of course, there was the occasional nonhuman traveller, but other than that it was just monoeyes.

Mono pushed through the last of the bushes and onto the dirt road, walking down the rows of houses. The sun shined off her black hair, her grey eye focusing forward. At least until something caught her eye. A group of boys were playing some sort of ball game. It was difficult to tell which one. Mono glanced at the sky again.

... Perhaps just thirty more minutes? They wouldn't be too angry, right? The sun wasn't exactly at its highest point yet, so she certainly had more than enough time. Enough time for at least one game. With this plan settled in her mind, she turned towards the boys and walked up, wearing her friendliest smile.

"Hi, guys! Can I play too?"

The boys stopped dead in their tracks the moment she had opened her mouth, the red ball falling to the ground and rolling in the grass. Their faces had gone pale, their eyes wide with fright as if they had just seen death itself.