Chapter 58: Mono the Unbreakable

Mono stood almost perfectly still, her shoulders trembling slightly. They had caught up to her, despite her best efforts to ascend the Cathedral long before them. The adventurers held their weapons, but didn't take a step forward. They wouldn't dare. With a heavy, yet very light sigh, Mono took her hands from the door, turning to face them. For a long time, they stared at each other in silence.

For years now, they had been enemies, trying to kill each other. And while the adventurers didn't see now as any different, Mono did. To her, there was no point in killing them anymore. Not after Jack and revealed the intention of the Gods. To her, they were no longer her enemies.

"... Turn back," she said quietly. "I am not here for a fight... I am only here to retrieve my Lord... After we make our escape, then you may continue..."

The heroes didn't budge. "Turn so you can stab us in the back?" Jasper growled. Mono shook her head.

"No. If I had wanted you dead, then I would have no need to trick you. It is simply not necessary; you are not my enemy."

Confusion rippled through the waters of their minds. Mono folded her hands neatly in front of herself, straightening her back. She looked more like a proper maid now.

"... I can't let you pass me. If I do, my Lord... You'll kill him, won't you?" She spoke in a soft voice. "... I can't allow that. That is why... If you take one more step forward, I will fight back. I will chase you away. I do not want to kill you; you're necessary to stopping the Church. But if you force my hand, then... I am certain you can figure out the rest. So please... Turn around, and walk away."

Shingg...

Yin's katana gleamed in the light that fell through the windows, followed by the glint of Vao's axe. And then Sasha's sword, Verde's staff, Hekue's flute, Salem's rapier, Jasper's daggers, and Tourmaline's spear. Sapphire only had her bare hands, but with her strength they were practically weapons.

"We aren't falling for that," Yin said. "You've wanted us dead since Grimmore. We've fought and lost to you more times than we care to count. We aren't walking into your trap. We're continuing on, even if that means getting past you."

Mono felt her lip tremble, but it was quickly stilled. Rolling her shoulders backward, she let out another sigh. She knew it would boil down to this. Even if she told them she wasn't willing to fight, they'd push on.

It was ironic. Funny, even. The First Vao had warned the Cult about this. That Yin and Vao never gave up throughout the Timelines, no matter the paths they took. They always saw their quests to the very end. And yet no one believed him. They all thought they could break Yin and Vao's spirits. Mono once thought that too. But standing in front of them now, as the last line of defense for the one she valued the most, she realized her biggest mistake.

And that was underestimating her enemies. The very thing the First Vao had never done, and survived because of it.

With a sigh meant to calm her racing nerves and pounding heart, Mono paced back and forth, her dress shoes tapping against the marble floor softly. "... I do not wish to fight. You wouldn't believe me, but it is true. Tell me, why would the Cult help you make it to the Cathedral?"

"That's becoz..." Vao trailed off, blinking a few times. It quickly became clear that he had begun to speak without thinking. None of them knew why the Cult had helped them. Mono was willing to answer.

"I ordered them to do so."

They stared at her in silence, Mono's hands unfolding, moving as she spoke.