Chapter 8: Through the Mountains

The sun had only just begun to rise when Salem woke up, her eyelids still heavy. Slowly she picked her head up from the table, yawning quietly.

Pop, po-pop.

Relief washed over her back as her joints popped back into place, a hefty sigh escaping from her lips. The Ragna Adventure's Guild was quiet, with only a handful of adventurers. Across from her, Yin's head was leaned back, the blonde snoring in his sleep. The princess felt her lips curl into a small smile as she rose to her feet and stepped quietly to his side. Her fingers extended and grazed his cheek, like a mother would to her child.

She was happy he was still alive. When he wasn't spouting off cruel remarks, he looked just like he did in the First Timeline before he grew up to be a bitter, abusive smoker. In need of fresh air, she pulled away and moved to the exit.

The mornings weren't as busy as the middle of the day, she quickly noticed. There was the sound of dwarves performing labor, of course, but not to the extent of yesterday when they first arrived. The cool mountain air was chilled, sending a shiver down her spine as she took a deep breath in.

A part of her was relieved. Aside from the rampant racism that was embedded in the society of Twist, it wasn't nearly as bad as she had thought. And yet, that was what worried her the most. The Gods of Light and Darkness were cruel and twisted; she was growing increasingly paranoid, the feeling that something bad was going to happen eating away at her: slowly, but surely.

"Good morning, Princess."

The odd accent broke her from her thoughts. She looked to see Vao approaching, his shoulders slumped forward. He had dark rings under his eyes; he didn't look like he slept well - or at all.

"Oh. Good morning, Vao. You look tired. Is something wrong?" She asked kindly. The femboy sighed.

"Verde is... Well, a mess right now," he admitted. "I think something happened between her and Yin, but she won't talk to me about it..."

He didn't tell her everything, and Salem knew it. And she knew better than to leave it alone - leaving things alone had not blown over well in the previous Timelines. Before he could walk inside the Guild, she stepped in his way. "Wait. Let's chat, shall we?" She offered. Vao looked annoyed.

"I'm not really in the mood, mate. I just need a drink." He tried to step around her, but Salem just blocked his path again. "It isn't good to bottle your thoughts," she replied.

"Will you just move? I already told you that I'm not interested in having a conversation right now, I just want to be left alone!"

Salem thought back to the Second Timeline, where the truth of Vao's alcoholism had come to light. She gently pushed him away from the door, stooping down so she was eye level with him. "Vao... Drinking is only going to make you feel worse about yourself," she whispered softly. Vao did a full stop, locking eyes with her.

"... Excuse me, wot?"

"I know you don't feel very great about yourself," Salem continued. "Alcohol will only make it wors-"

"I'd shut my gob if I were you."

Salem felt her blood run cold. Vao was furious. She stood back up straight, her eyes wide. She didn't mean to set him off, and she was quickly realizing that she should've known that from the start. Of course Vao wouldn't want to talk about himself like that, especially with someone he didn't know that well. The thief began to push past her, but stopped in the doorway.

"... Wait a minute," he mumbled. He turned back to her, his eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "How did you... I never even told my mum..."

Salem found herself fighting for an excuse. Vao was staring at her, his eyes cloudy with thought. Until finally, he just gave a small shake of his head. "... Stay away from me for a little bit. You make me uneasy."