Chapter 11: The Secret City, Part One

Vao nearly danced down the streets, having the time of his life. Smelling like a brewery, a bottle of booze in his hand, he nearly skipped out of Poppy's house, the harpy still snoring away inside. Vao stared out at the market, his eyes lighting up. Sliding across the sand on his heels, he slid to a market stall, staring at the cashier in front of him with confusion. "... Wot are you?"

The woman looked at him, smiling cheerfully. "Oh, good morning! I'm a werewolf. What species of nonhuman are you?"

Vao thought about it for a moment - it was the first time he used his head since he woke up. "Were... Wolf..." He looked back up at the lady, his mind made up. "I'm Vao, a human who's out to make friends! What's your name?"

The werewolf looked almost impressed by his energy. "You're... A human? Like, a live human?"

"Yeah! I'm one of those guys that got picked up in the desert!"

She was leaning on the counter, a tail wagging behind her. "Oh, I've been looking forward to meeting you! My name's Emerald!"

"Great name! Say, you drink? I was about to go looking for a bar..."

Emerald closed up her stall, jogging around the counter. "I do! I know a good place! Let's go!"

Verde wasn't far away when Vao and Emerald ran past her, the two laughing like idiots. The witch stared after them in disbelief, dismay washing over her. She just couldn't win.

Vao and Emerald practically kicked the doors to the bar open, stepping inside. Sliding across the bench, he leaned against the counter where an orc was cleaning a mug. "Hey, got anything that can put down a horse?"

"... Ma'am, that doesn't sound safe."

"Don't worry about me! I'll be fine!" Vao boasted confidently. He already had the attention of other patrons who were curious if his claims were true. Vao wrapped his arm around his new canine friend, flashing a wink. "And get her something sweet. Sweet for a sweet girl!"

When Vao winked, the orc looked away, the cheeks under his fur beginning to turn red, his finger tugging at the collar of his shirt to let his body breathe. He didn't know who the black-haired human was, but he found her cute. He pushed their drinks towards them waving his hand when Vao started reaching for his wallet. "On the house, ma'am."

Vao snickered. "Oh, thanks!"

The orc breathed a sigh of relief that he made her happy. But Vao's next words made him question everything about himself.

"I'm not a woman, though."

Leaving the orc to question his sexuality, Vao began to chug his drink. The patrons watched, eagerness in their eyes. Even though his bottle was much larger than Emerald's he finished long before she did. The orc bartender looked at the empty bottle, and then back to Vao. "W-wha...?"

The thief snickered, a wolfish grin spreading across his feminine face. "That all you got, mate?"

The bartender was beginning to realize that Vao was a different breed when it came to alcohol. Filling the bottle back to the brim, he passed it to the human shyly. He was slowly coming to terms that he was attracted to another man. Vao was unaware of these feelings, chugging it down in seconds. Reaching into his back pocket, he set something down. A solid diamond - stolen, obviously - sparkled in the light.

"To bloody hell with it. Drinks are on me," Vao announced. "Let's party, lads and lasses! Not as human and nonhuman, but as equals!"

His invitation sparked cheer for the patrons, who were more than happy that Vao was enjoying himself in their city. well, more of the fact that a human in general was even giving them the time of day, and then going as far as to spend time with them.