34. CONVERGENCE OF FATE -1

The once joyous atmosphere had now given way to mourning. The saying "the more, the merrier" had transformed into "the more the people, the more the chatter." Confusion gripped everyone's thoughts. Amidst the choices between the strong and the weak, between a powerful king and a bestowed princess, or between a composed, sensible man and a passionate, opinionated woman, a simple answer emerged - the strong, powerful king who possessed both calmness and sensibility.

However, it took only a moment for doubts about her character to creep into everyone's minds. Soon, people began to badmouth her without making an effort to understand her circumstances.

They believed she had wronged Karn, and by speaking against her, they thought they were displaying loyalty to him. Little did they know that the person they were trying to prove their loyalty to was already deeply committed to her. His intense anger was not due to her disappearance but because of his profound concern. The flames and heat he emitted were not meant to harm her but to eliminate any threat to her safety and envelop her in warmth.

Words like "presumptuous," "characterless," "shameless," and "fake" were used to describe her, but then the voice of death echoed, silencing even the wind.

Karn ( roared): Enough! Not a word against her! This matter will remain confined within the palace walls. Gather everyone within the palace. If news of this matter spreads, I will personally administer the punishment.

His announcement left everyone stunned, some in awe of his character, some envious of Ananya, and others in fear of his retribution.

In the blink of an eye, Karn summoned a majestic royal black stallion, causing the very ground beneath to tremble. A dark and formidable beast capable to strike fear in any heart. Kar swiftly mounted with an air of determination and departed.

Those who witnessed this awe-inspiring sight were sent into a shiver of trepidation. Karn's warning carried immense weight, and there was hardly a soul who did not understand the gravity of his words. The ministers of both Kashi and Shaiva were well aware that failing to heed his words would invite a punishment far more severe than any they could imagine. Even Yamraj might show mercy if entreated and pleased, but Karn, once convinced that his people had been wronged, would show no such leniency, especially when it concerned his beloved.

Shaktiraj, the first among them to regain his composure, took it upon himself to investigate the situation. Among the Kashi siblings, he had always been the most responsible and level-headed, possessing an uncanny ability to stay well-informed and calculate potential gains and losses in any given situation. However, on this particular day, he found himself at a loss, struggling to find a solution. While he harbored a deep trust in Ananya, as did Vallabhraj, Anandmayi, Dharini, and Amba; they were all perplexed by the current circumstances.

Shaktiraj, accompanied by his trusted aides and several Shaiva ministers, discreetly organized search parties to scour the land for any trace of Ananya. Meanwhile, Anandmayi and Vallabhraj gathered all the palace staff and soldiers for interrogation and cautioning, though they wondered whether they could truly douse the flames of rumor that were already spreading like wildfire.

In the midst of this turmoil, Satyavati, Gandhari, Ambika, and Ambalika found themselves in a challenging position. They had all shared a closer bond with Karn than with Ananya, which made it difficult for them to immediately side with her. Yet, deep within their hearts, a flicker of belief in her remained. They remembered her as an opinionated, independent, and sharp-witted woman, someone who didn't seem the type to meekly tend to a family
Ananya was both familiar and an enigma to them.

Ambika was the first to voice her confusion,

Ambika: I'm at a loss for words... Ananya left the wedding? How could she?