22 - Treehouse

I remained in my imaginary gray room until the truck stopped and pulled me from the quiet. We were on the dirt road. Owen collected what was left of Vaughn from the treeline, stuffing the remains into a trash bag. Hate overwhelmed me. I couldn't watch anymore, so I tuned out.

"Was everyone alright?" Lilla's voice drew my attention to reality. We were in the basement.

She was lying on her stomach on the couch, topless. Angry claw marks from Shay slashed across her exposed back. Leaning over the side of the cushion, she flipped through a book that was open on the floor.

"We stopped Emily before she left her house, but Bash's dad..." Owen's voice trailed off as he stared at my boots.

"Oh, no." Lilla moved to sit up, but Owen held up a palm to stop her. Grabbing her shirt from the table, he flung it at her.

"These cuts hurt, and the material was chafing. That's as healed as it would get."

Owen spun the other way. "You'll have to deal with it. We have things to figure out."

She huffed, but put her top on. "I'm covered."

He turned to find her perched on the edge of the couch, cradling the book in her lap. Looking up at him, she said, "What's first?"

Owen lowered into the chair across from her with a groan. "Create a story for his dad. A car wreck out of town will work. That shouldn't raise too many questions. Then we'll bury him."

She stood. "I'll have it finished by morning."

"Wait," I said. "We're going to bury him? Where? Why won't she make something up so he'll go to the coroner? He should have a funeral."

Owen rubbed my knuckles together and sighed. "He should, and I'm sorry, Bash, but he can't. The story Lilla makes will only work if people don't have proof of anything else. No one can examine him. There's no narrative that could explain the injuries. We'll do it here."

"How? Wrapped in his comforter?" He was right, but it didn't stop me from being pissed.

Sadness filled us both as Owen said, "We'll do the best we can. I promise."

"I need to be alone for a while," I whispered. I'd have liked to check out completely in my gray room, but my emotions were too turbulent to manage that.

As soon as she thought I was gone, Lilla clapped. "I have some great news. Catriona was kind enough to leave some of her blood on the dresser upstairs. I can use it to track her. We'll be able to go straight to her!"

Owen nodded once. "Good. When they realize Jake's dead, they won't stay in Greenville long. We'll worry about that later. We're taking care of this first."

"Of course, I'll get on it now, but I have even better news!" She beamed, and Owen balled my hands into fists. "I found what Catriona was talking about! I think I understand how to give you your own body, and if it works, it'll only take a few days!"

Her carefree attitude annoyed me, but it was great news. I wouldn't blame Owen if he was excited.

"I assumed you'd be happy," she whispered.

"No! I'm not happy!" Owen yelled. "My friend's dad was killed by monsters you helped create. He was a good man and all I can do is bury him in the woods."

Owen clenched my teeth and paced away from Lilla. "We're taking care of him now. Nothing else matters."

"You're right, I'm sorry. That was callous. Years of death and loss have left me a bit numb to it, I'm afraid." She blew out a slow breath. "There's no reason to move him. I'll take everything out there. He'll be ready by morning."