14 - Groovy

Thirty minutes into practice, my phone beeped, cutting through the eerie silence of Owen's yard. I stopped throwing and slid the cell from my pocket to check the text message.

Emily: Morning! I had fun last night! Wish I didn't have to go on this stupid trip.

"Aww." Owen snickered. "It's cute how you get all tingly just from reading what she wrote."

"Shut up. I do not."

"I think you forgot I'm in here. You do."

I ignored him and sent her a quick reply.

Me: Enjoy your vacation, and be safe.

"Adorable."

Laughing, I asked, "Do you want to talk about Emily or practice?"

"I can make fun of you and critique your throws. I'm an excellent multitasker."

My aim had improved enough that Owen had little to say. After a while, we switched so Owen could practice. He threw so quickly that retrieving the knives from the target took most of the time.

Stepping even farther from the tree, he let the blades fly. They all landed within an inch of each other, and someone behind us clapped. Owen turned to see Lilla standing on the porch, leaning with her hip against the railing.

She beamed. "You were always so impressive at that."

He didn't respond, so she continued. "I found a spell that should block my presence from Catriona. I'll be able to sense them, but she won't feel me. We'll hunt tonight."

"Can they sense us?" I asked.

"They might if you were close," Lilla said. "But the magic that binds you is nothing compared to my power. They can tell I'm different."

Her civil tone when she voluntarily answered my question surprised us both, and Owen gave her a nod.

Encouraged, she kept talking. "We could use the spell on you two, but I'm not sure how it would affect your bond. There's a chance it would block you from each other, leaving only one of you running things." She tilted her head, considering.

Owen and I answered together, "No."

"Alright." She held her palms up and stepped back. "Only a passing idea. After all, we only really need Bash's body, not Bash."

The anger that flared in Owen kept me from speaking as he stomped to the tree, retrieved his knives, and wrapped them in their leather. Scowling up at Lilla, he said, "You had me for a second. I thought you regretted how you treated him. This is his life, too. I won't be cutting him out of it." He didn't give her a chance to reply as he strode to the truck. "We'll pick you up to hunt at eight."

Guilt gnawed at me as we drove to my house, and I waited for Owen to calm down. I hated coming between them; they didn't have a lot of time left. When the silence became overwhelming, I said, "I don't mean to keep causing problems for you and Lilla. Nobody has ever disliked me so instantly before."

"She really doesn't like you." Owen scanned the road around us, his gaze lingering on the newer houses.

"What did I do?"

"Nothing I saw. She's changed. I can't put my finger on it, but she seems... different."

"Well, a lot can happen in fifty years."

"I guess. Maybe I'm different too." Owen flipped the turn signal on and stopped at a stop sign. He didn't need directions to my house anymore.

"You might be, but I'm still thinking she's the problem. Who meets me and doesn't love me? I'm a delight."