Chapter 8: Dark Side

Before Hazek could say anything more I stood up from my seat and faced him with furious eyes.

"Sana didn't force me to do anything. I did it because I wanted to." I exclaimed.

A few people had stopped by as they watched us having a face-off.

"Aisha, you need to understand the difference between friend and enemy," Hazek replies softly.

"Oh yeah? And you're going to tell me who I should befriend and who not?"

"No. But it's my responsibility to make you aware of the bad when I see."

"And who are you to tell me that?" I quirk up an eyebrow, accusingly. "Did you actually think that you were my fiance?" Suddenly Hazek's eyebrows raised in a question or was it disbelief in his eyes?

"Aisha. Stop. Everyone's watching." Sana holds my arm and tries to pull me with her.

"The one you are accusing of bad intentions is the one trying to save us from people's gaze. Next time you go around teaching me… Go fix your habit of pointing at others first." I declare and leave him standing stunned, surrounded by a few people who were probably gossiping about the scene that unfolded before their eyes.

~~~

"You didn't need to be so bold all of a sudden," Sana speaks after we both ended up together in the common room for a touch-up. "There were people who were filming you two. This will cause unnecessary rumors about you two."

"I don't care. He needed to know his limits. How dare he bad mouth my best friend?! Who is he to judge people?" I was furious. "So what if our families engaged us? It doesn't mean I'll marry him."

"Alright. Calm down already." She pats my back and passes me a glass of water. I gulp all the content in one go. "Sheesh! I need my phone right now."

I quickly fiddle with my bag and retrieve my phone before giving her the empty glass of water.

"What for?" Sana asks, puzzled.

I open my messages and quickly type in a reply. I pause for a few seconds but instantly press the send button before I change my mind again.

I needed to do this. I want my freedom.

If Hazek thinks he's going to marry me… Then he's wrong for all the great reasons.

I look at the sent message once again.

Aisha Khan: Wanna be friends, David?

"Woah! Did you just message him?" Sana exclaims, watching my phone screen beside me.

I instantly lock my phone. Heat rushes to my cheeks with a little guilty feeling of getting caught.

"Atta girl!" She slaps my back and I almost choke on air. "This calls for a celebratory Tiktok video. Let's make a dance video together!"

A smile creeps on my face and I nod excitedly.

~~~

Hazek's POV

I was sitting in the auditorium with my friend, Mahir beside me. The session on the international stock exchange was about to begin but my mind was caught elsewhere. When I open my phone a notification pops up on the top of the screen.

I click on it and a video starts playing of both Aisha and Sana dancing off together to a new Tiktok sound without waiting for it to finish, I turn off the screen and lean back in my seat.

Why is she so blinded by fame? Why can't she see that people are only interested in her looks, and her body, people will trash her once she doesn't fit their ideal type.

A small commotion in the front seat row caught my attention when a few boys exchanged their phones and shared lustful smiles. The video playing on their screens was the same that I had just watched.

Glancing at another row, a pair of girls were also watching Aisha's dancing video on their phones as they shared silly snickers. My jaw clenched and I tightened my fist to control my anger.

Aisha wasn't someone to entertain oneself with. She belongs to a respectable family, a person who isn't so cheap that everyone can watch her dancing on the tip of their finger.

If only I could hide her from the world, I would gladly do it just to protect her from all those evil and hungry eyes.

She's just too naive to understand the greed of this world.

I am afraid that she takes too much time to understand this before things run out of hand.

With my thoughts of her, she entered the auditorium with Sana. They were searching for a suitable place to sit but unfortunately, all the seats near the stage were taken.

Aisha's eyes landed on me and I stood up from my seat, pulling up my friend, Mahir with me. "Let's sit at the back."

"Aren't you being too courteous to the girl who insulted you in front of so many people in the cafeteria?" Mahir's voice was laced with sarcasm.

"Besides being my classmate, she's also my dad's niece, I ought to look after her."

"If I had a cousin like her, I'd better cut all my ties with h-" Mahir stops as I glare at him, one pointed look and he understood my dislike towards his unfinished statement.

"Not you. Not another word." My words sank in him and he looked ashamed after he passed a comment. "I'll go get a bottle of water." I stand up and leave the auditorium, wanting to get some free air to clear up my head.

As I was leaving the auditorium I saw Sana moving outside as well. Averting my gaze to the floor, I decided to go my own way.

Turns out Sana was heading in the same direction I was going. I noticed a few girls were standing near the canteen so I decided to wait out until the area was cleared for me to buy something.

I turned my back towards the girls standing at the canteen window and fiddled with my phone to pass the time.

"Hey, Sana!" I heard a girl call.

"Hey." Sana sounded uninterested.

"Your friend Aisha is creating havoc on the internet." The girl's voice was filled with sarcasm.

"Seems so."

"I am sure, you're around her for her fame only."

"Mind your own business Rafia!"

"Why? Are you afraid?"

"Why would I be afraid of a witch like yourself?"

"Because I might tell your friend about your dark side."

"Just shut up and leave."

"You might fool others but I can clearly see what you are up to."

"Fine. You stay here, I'll leave."

With a woosh, I saw Sana pass by me without even noticing my presence.

What in the world were they talking about?

~~~

Salam guys! Hope you're enjoying the chapters.  A little comment and votes would be appreciated enough for my motivation to to keep writing. 🙂