14. Making it up to Her

The two still hadn't talked since the argument. The morning after Kylie had won her competition, was when she wanted to talk to Sam about the argument, apologise, but she never got to. Sam had left early that day, for the opening matches of the Women's Super League. 

Sam knew that Kylie would have forgotten about her matches. She didn't blame her, she knew the skater had stressed a lot about her own competition. But the footballer still felt the hope that Kylie might show up fade. The footballer had been standing near the friends and family sections as they got onto the pitch, searching for the skater's face. 

But she never found it. 

Their fight was hard on Sam, she felt like Kylie wasn't thinking about her in that moment, too caught up in her own problems. But what had hurt the most was that even through the argument, Sam showed up to her skating comp. Why couldn't she do the same for her?

'I'll make it up to you' my ass. And even through the hurt, all Sam could think about was her.

It was a tough match, Chelsea against West Ham. Sam's mind was a mess. She was trying to focus as hard as she could, but it wasn't enough. Neither teams had scored by half time, and both teams were playing with a mixture of offensive-defensive strategies. 

Sam had missed multiple opportunities to score, and she felt extremely guilty. She could hear Emma yelling at her from the side of the pitch to get her head in the game. 

So when Lauren managed to get the ball past the midfield and send it to Sam, she booked it down towards the goal, trying to get the best possible shot opportunity. The footballer stumbled quite a bit, her dribbling not as on point as it normally is. 

***

Kylie was in the hallway entrance to the stadium, reasoning with the security. "Please, my girlfriend is playing!" She yelled over the roaring crowd. The security wasn't letting her into the stands, keeping her stuck in the hallway.

"I have to see ID and your ticket." The security said. His beard covered his face, making it seem like he didn't even speak, like he was stoic. 

She tried sifting through her emails, but it was full of spam emails and management emails from competitions. The skater had been at the stadium the whole time, trying to get the guard to let her in. 

This was her huge make-up-for-the-fight surprise for Sam. But if she couldn't even get into the stadium, how could she show Sam that she cared? 

As she found finally found the ticket on the phone, the crowd roared, louder than it had before. Then, the next words out of the security guard broke her heart. "Sam Kerr scored." She wasn't there for her girlfriend when she scored a goal for her team. 

In that moment of desperation, Kylie pulled out her ID, "please you have to let me in, I'm an Olympic gold medallist in figure skating, and I have to be there for my g-"

"You're Kylie Sato?" It was the first moment that the security had even shown that he cared, and clearly, he had recognised her.

Thinking that she could use her status as a famous athlete, Kylie said, "Yes, please, you have to let me in."

After a few moments of thinking, the security guard rolled his eyes before saying, "go ahead. But just letting you know, its the 88th minute of the game."

Kylie rushed into the stands, but time she had gotten to the crowds, her heart completely sunk. The game was pretty much over, Chelsea winning 1-0. She had missed the entire game. 

***

Sam was doing one final swoop of the friends and family section, a small part of her hoped she would find Kylie's face, that she had just missed her when she was looking for her earlier. 

And this time she did find her.

The couple smiled at each other. Sam smiled in the relief that Kylie cared enough to come. Kylie smiled to hide the truth from Sam. The fact that she had in fact missed the entire game.

***

The crowds of the stadium have left, leaving just the friends and family to leave with the Chelsea players once they've collected their belongings. Sam wasn't sure if Kylie had only come to see her play, just like how Sam only went to see Kylie skate. She wasn't sure if Kylie had just left to go home.

But as Sam headed out of the stadium, she say her girlfriend, standing there.

"You played amazing babe." Even though she wanted to be mad at the girl, she couldn't help but revel in the compliments.

Sam gave the shorter girl a peck on the cheek before pressing their foreheads together. It was probably the longest time that the two didn't talk for, the longest time that they hadn't been affectionate in.

"Why do you have to look so beautiful." Sam complained. She really wanted to be petty and go back to the silent treatment but she did truly miss warmth of Kylie's body.

"I'm sorry Sammy. I was insensitive, and an ass, and I shouldn't have said all those things. Skating did mean a lot to me, especially before, but that was the past. And you are the present, and you are my entire world now, and-"

Sam cut her off with a kiss, which they held for quite a while. Neither of them could deny that they missed the embrace of the other.

"It's ok. I know you were stressed and upset-"

"It's no excuse for what I sa-"

"Just take the win baby" Sam winked. Kylie giggled, shaking her head.