4. We're not friends.

The two Olympic champions explored Paris, avoiding hot tourist places like the Eiffel tower and the art museum, sticking to parks and bakeries.

"Aw come on Sam, you gotta try the hot chocolate." They were at a cafe, Kylie had ordered the tiktok famous thick hot chocolate and whipped cream, Sam with just a regular coffee. "Ew, the thick texture of that would stick to the roof of my mouth, no."

"But its so aesthetic!" Kylie pulled out her phone, taking pictures, Sam just watching her with raised eyebrows. "Besides, I've seen tons of great reviews."

The skater began mixing in the whipped cream, the hot chocolate still having a viscous form. She took a big sip out the cup, "yeah, and how do you feel now that the internet has lied to you?" Sam asked as Kylie's face scrunched up at the drink.

"Bro why is it so chocolatey?"

"You do realise you ordered a hot chocolate right?" Sam deadpanned.

"Yeah, but it's like really bad, like chocolate ice cream bad. You know how chocolate is normally good but chocolate ice cream is not?"

"What I love chocolate ice cream!" The footballer complained.

"What is wrong with you."

"What's wrong with YOU!"

Kylie gasped dramatically, "when you have a tub of Napolitano ice cream, the order you eat it in is vanilla, strawberry, chocolate, no other order."

"What no! Chocolate, strawberry, vanilla! Vanilla is boring." Sam's arms waved around, trying to make a point.

"Vanilla's not boring! When you choose between a chocolate cake and a vanilla cake, you choose vanilla!"

Sam grimaced, "What, no, why would you do that? Vanilla tastes like nothing!"

"Yeah but you can add fruit and and make pretty designs on vanilla cake, you can't do shit with a boring chocolate poop brown cake." Kylie reasoned, still awkwardly mixing in more whipped cream to her hot chocolate.

"What's the point in adding fruit to vanilla cake, just get a strawberry cake."

"...Um, I don't think strawberry cakes are a thing." Kylie took her hot chocolate and placed it in front of Sam. "And since you love everything chocolate, here you go." She smiled innocently.

"Hell nah, not after you called chocolate 'poop brown'" Sam pushed it back, laughing.

***

Later that night, the two had separated and returned to their hotel rooms. Expecting a peaceful night after the chaotic day she just had, Sam laid in bed ready to sleep. That was until there was violent knocking at her door.

Lazily, Sam rolled out of bed, opening the door to find Caitlin at the door. She holds her phone out to Sam, "What the fuck have you done?"

Top Stories: Sam Kerr, captain of the Matildas, and Kylie Sato, Australian figure skater, seen together exploring Paris, the city of love. After the Matildas extraordinary win in the football Olympics, Sam Kerr was seen at Kylie Sato's Olympic figure skating competition, seemingly cheering for the skater. After Sato won the Olympics again, the two were spotted at the xxx football stadium that night. Yesterday, Kerr and Sato were spotted on going around Paris together. Is Sam Kerr and Kristie Mewis broken up? Is Kylie Sato a lesbian? And are the two athletes together?

Sam groaned. "Caitlin, can you send me that article, I should probably ask Kylie what she wants to do."

"Sure, but you gotta patch this up." She closes the door, meanwhile, Sam texts Kristie.

KM

Hey, I'm sorry if this is
abrupt, but is it alright for me
to announce our breakup?

Yeah ofc, I saw the news,
I'm happy for you.

Oh, we're not together,
we're just friends

_

Jack Frost

-insert article link-

damn, i predicted our
future yesterday didnt i

Kylie, this is serious.

Should we release a statement?

nah its fine, its none
of their busineess

Yeah but we should
still say something or
they'll assume

Plus its kind of creepy
how much information
they have, how'd
they even know I was at
your competition?

its fine theyre always
like this and besides
we're just friends

We're not friends.

We're just acquaintances.

_

She didn't expect that. She didn't play a team sport, she was very focused on her own career since she began skating at 10. Kylie knew that Sam took her career very seriously, she did too, but after only knowing each other for less than a week, she was kind of shocked at how quickly the friendship ended.

The skater decided it was for the best if she didn't stay in Paris longer than needed, deciding to go back to her apartment early, booking a flight home for the next day.

***

Another knock was heard from the door. Sam groaned again, opening the door, Caitlin standing there, but this time with Alanna and Macca. "We saw the article-"

"Gotta fix this blah blah dont' worry, I got it covered." The three entered the room. "So what'd you do?"

"Well I told Kristie about it and asked if she'd be fine if we announced the break up." Sam said, drafting up an announcement for her instagram

"No, not Kristie idiot, what'd you tell Elsa?"

"Jack Frost" Sam corrected.

"Fine, what'd you tell Jack Frost."

"I just decided it would be better if we cut contact fully. I told her we're not friends." The three stared at their captain. "God, you better be fucking with me." Macca said.

"What no, I asked what statement we should put out, she didn't care, so I just said forget it, I'll do it myself." Ok, well Sam didn't exactly say that but whatever.

"What's the point in doing that? You and Kristie broke up, you deserve to let yourself build new relationships, platonic or romantic." Alanna reasoned.

"Jeez. What's done is done. We've cut contact." Sam snapped, frustration, guilt and regret bubbling inside her. "Look Sam, we're worried about you, we know Kristie was important to you but you shouldn't let that stop you from being just friends with Kylie." Caitlin sat next to her.

"Is. Kristie is important to me." Sam covered her face. She really did like Kylie, she could see herself becoming close to the skater. But, she didn't know if she was ready. But ready for what exactly? She didn't know.