F O U R T Y - F O U R

The next day, I woke up groggy, with barely any sleep. All night I tossed and turned, wondering what was happening with Alex. I felt like I had a duty to go see him. After everything he willingly did for me, it was the least I could do. As the sun peeked in through the blinds, I lay awake on my side, the covers wrapped around me in a cocoon. Though I was awake, my eyes threatened to shut again. The memories of the blood on the sidewalk, the police officer, and Eva's insults made their way back to my head. I banged my head against my pillow to try and shake them out.

I slowly sat up and swung my legs around the side of my bed, still trying to piece everything together. If Eva took my journal and she knew about the kiss, then that meant she knew about my feelings for Alex. Since it was plausible that she had something to do with what happened to him, they fought over what I wrote. Which meant that Alex probably knew of my feelings for him. I groaned, face palming as my cheeks burned with embarrassment. This was exactly what I didn't want to happen.

I sat at the edge of my bed, wondering how I was going to figure out if Alex was okay or not. I figured calling hospitals nearby was a start for me to get some information. Hoping that I'd at least get some information if that was legal. I sat at my desk and grabbed my laptop, searching for all nearby hospitals. I went down the list and clicked on the first one named Hope and Grace Hospital. My fingers trembled over the dial pad on my phone as I copied the number. Three rings later, I was connected to an automated dial-in system.

"If you'd like to be connected to the reception area, please hold." The system said. I patiently waited until I was connected to a real person. A woman picked up the phone and by the tone of her voice, she was in a rush.

"Hello, I would like to know if a specific person is a patient. H-" I started.

"What's the name, hun?" She asked in a gruff voice. Rude much? Could've waited for me to finish my sentence. I was just getting to that.

"U-um Alex Marchesi?" I responded, hoping that this would be where he was at. I heard typing in the background and clicking around. The receptionist mumbled a few words under her breath and made a sound with her mouth as she looked.

"We do have a recently admitted patient by the name of Alexander Marchesi." The receptionist said. My ears perked up and a smile formed on my face. For some reason, I just knew it was really Alex because his last name didn't sound like a common one. How many recently admitted patients would have the same name?

"Great, thanks so much!" I chirped. The receptionist didn't respond and hung up the phone. I scrunched my nose at my phone, turning it off and closing my laptop. The hospital was about twenty minutes away by walking and about five minutes by car. If I understood the routes correctly, the shuttle van usually stops about five blocks away from the hospital at a nearby shopping plaza.

As I solidified the route in my mind, I hurriedly did my morning routine, making sure my usual bun was brushed properly. I got dressed in a pair of jeans and a pink hoodie that I bedazzled just because I was bored. I was met with the cold harsh air as I fixed my hat and zipped up my jacket. I saw the shuttle van taking students to the shopping plaza so I got in, my nerves practically on edge at who I was going to see. I silently prayed that he'd be at least recognizable.

As the van pulled off, I began to realize the impulsivity of my actions. I usually plan ahead of time so this was out of the norm for me. Though Eva discouraged me from seeing her boyfriend, here I was, doing the opposite. I thought about what I was going to say to Alex. Should I greet him upon entering his room? Should I wait for his family to finish their time with him before I walk in? There were so many ways to do this yet I couldn't decide on one.

The shuttle van soon pulled up the shopping plaza and I felt my heartbeat quicken. Once I got out of the van and started my journey towards the hospital, I could feel goosebumps on my body but that could be because it was cold. My boots trudged across the ground, with every step I took bringing me closer and closer to the first part of the truth. I repeatedly rehearsed a dialogue that I'd use once I came face to face with Alex. I knew that if I saw him, my tongue would be tied, with no words to say. I'm not sure if I'd hug him, as that would probably be awkward.