Chapter 1

~
Hey guys! crankynewt here. so yes, I have released a new story :) how exciting. anyways, this story mainly deals with Group B, as I mentioned in the story bio, so as of right now, there won't be any appearances from Group A. Like Thomas, Minho, etc.

Just wanted to clear that up, so now I'm gonna quit blabbering and let you guys read the story! Enjoy :)

~~~~~~~~~~~

Drip, drip.

The cold rain droplets roll down the shack and land onto the muddy ground.

A humongous rain storm just swept through the Glade, and my crops are ruined. I get up, and inspect the area.

My young plants are scattered around the land, the roots lifted right up out of the ground. I sigh. Garbage.

I grab the pieces of plant and drop them into a bucket. Might as well feed them to the animals. No point in wasting them.

"Maya!" someone yells.

I straighten up, and turn around. Our leader, Sonya, walks up to me. "How did your crops hold up during the storm?" she asks, a look of certainty in her eyes.

I hold up the bucket of plant debri, not saying anything else.

"Oh. Poor Stick," she says, patting my back. (AN: I'm sure most of you know this, but "stick" in Group B terms means "shank" in Group A terms.)

"Not the first time," I say, and sigh. I lift up the bucket once more. "I'm gonna give these to the Farm Heads, they can feed them to the animals."

Sonya nods. Suddenly, screaming erupts throughout the Glade. I drop the bucket and turn around. A figure is running up to us. I squint my eyes, and I notice that it's April, a Runner.

"A Griever is trying to get in the Glade!" she yells.

Sonya immediately grabs her spear and races off towards the incident. I follow her.

When I get close enough, I see that, indeed, a Griever has wedged itself in between the North gate and wall. The gears of the gate grind endlessly, but the Griever still remains wedged. It's mechanical legs seem to be keeping the gate from smashing it in two.

Sonya steps up, spear held tightly in her hand, and furiously slams the butt of the spear on the Griever's head. It roars, it's mechanical legs trying to pry the gate back open.

This time, our other leader, Harriet, steps in and has acquired a spear of her own. She points the spear at the Griever's head, then with one swift motion, jabs it in the eye. It roars once again, and retreats back into the Maze.

The North gate successfully closes after the Griever has retreated, and quietness returns to the Glade. For a moment.

"Can someone explain to me what just happened?" Harriet asks, veins popping out of her forehead.

Everyone turns to the main culprit, April. "What?" April asks, then shrugs.

Sonya steps up, her brows furrowed. "Grievers aren't supposed to come out before the gates close. And they definitely are not supposed to approach the Glade like that one did."

April shrugs. "Your guess is as good as mine."

"Something isn't right," Harriet says. "This is the first time a Griever has done this."

Something itches at the back of my mind. I know something I didn't before, but I don't know what it is. I speak without thinking.

"Maybe it's a sign that something bad is gonna happen?" I blurt out.