Chapter 9: Meritocracy?

Start from the beginning

Chabashira: "Again correct, Edogawa-Kun. A total of 118 tardies and absences. 391 incidents of talking or using cell phones in class. I counted each infraction. In this school, your class's performance reflects in the number of points you receive. As a result of your behavior, the 100,000 points you could have earned went down the drain. That's all that happened... I explained all of this to you on the day of the entrance ceremony. That this school measures the abilities of its students. This time, you were assessed with a value of zero. There's nothing more to it."

Hirata: "Chabashira-sensei, I don't recall ever hearing that explanation before."

Chabashira: "What? Are you people incapable of understanding without explanations?"

Hirata: "Naturally. The reduction of points transferred at the beginning of each month wasn't mentioned. If it had been explained before, I'm sure we would have tried not to be late and not talk during class."

Chabashira: "An interesting argument, Hirata. I also don't recall explaining the rules about points received at the beginning of each month. However, didn't you learn not to talk in class and be on time during your 9 years of compulsory education? Hirata: "Well, then, can you at least tell us the details of how points increase or decrease? We'll try to do our best from now on."

Chabashira: "That's not possible. We're not allowed to disclose the details—"

Ranpo: "What a silly question! *shaking his head childishly* Every action that's not considered model behavior deducts points."

Hirata: *completely ignoring the insult* "And about the increase?! If we stop committing infractions, will we get points?!"

Ranpo: "No."

That caused the motivation of the class to drop immediately.

Chabashira: "Correct as always, Edogawa-Kun. Keep that in mind; it'll help you."

Hirata: "Ughh."

Hirata's face grew even darker. Part of the class still didn't understand; her explanation had the opposite effect. The students who wanted to change their bad behavior were discouraged. That's the goal of Chabashira-sensei; no, of the school.

The bell rang, signaling the end of the class.

Ranpo: "Or so I would say if I weren't the World's Greatest Detective *widening his eyes* I'll give you some clues... Midterms and Special Exams *after saying that, Chabashira showed an irritated expression*.

Chabashira: "It seems we've had too much talk. I hope you've understood. Anyway, let's move on to the main issue."

She unrolled the white poster that had been in the tube. Taking a magnet, she hung it on the blackboard. The students looked at the paper, still puzzled.

Horikita: "Are these... the results for each class?"

Horikita tried to explain the paper, although she was only half sure. Maybe it's true.

The classes A to D are listed on the paper, with numbers right next to them.

Our class D with 0. Class C with 490. Class B with 650. And class A had the highest

number with 940.

Ranpo: "It's worse than I expected."

— Hey, don't you think this is strange?

— Yeah... the numbers are too clean.

Chabashira: "During the first month, all of you did as you pleased. Now, the school isn't saying that this is prohibited. Your actions, like talking during class and being late, only affect the number of points you get. The same goes for using points. You're free to use them however you want. We haven't restricted how you use your points."

Ike: "This isn't fair! We can't have a normal school life like this!"

Chabashira: "Look carefully, you stupid kids. All the other classes except D got some points. The amount of points you have should still be enough to last a month."

— Why do the other classes have points? It's strange.

Chabashira: "I'll tell you, but it's not like there's some sort of fraud going on. Last month, all classes were judged by the same rules. However, they didn't lose as many points as you did. It's a fact."

Hirata: "How... how is there such a point difference between the classes?"

Chabashira: "Have you finally understood? Why you were put in class D?"

Yamauchi: "The reason we were put in class D? Isn't it because we're suited for this school?"

Ranpo/Koenji: "hahahHaHAahaha!"

Chabashira: "In this school, all students are divided into classes based on merit. The best students are placed in class A. The worst in class D. Well, it's a system found in major intensive course schools. In other words, class D is the accumulation of leftovers. That also means you're the worst students, the defective products of this school. This really is a result befitting defective students."