Chapter - 6 The Vanguard Promise

The next morning I woke up to a text from Claire saying Good morning Jack I was hoping you join me for lunch. The hospital food is not that bad. Today I asked for Ramen. It's the only thing I can keep down I have treatment today and I would like someone with a sense of humor. To Keep me company.

Good morning love I replied I might know that guy you're speaking of. Who am I kidding? You had me at Ramen. I'll see you at noon.

I headed over to the lab Malcolm said he had urgent news about Claire. I got there around 10:30 a.m. Everyone was working on various things, not just Claire's case but other patients from around the country. I went to the front desk is Malcolm in I asked the receptionist she said yes. Also, Doctor Chris is here too. She just came back from London this morning they're expecting to see you. She gave me a visitor badge. I went to see Malcolm. Why is Laura here? I got a little nervous. Laura could've called. But to fly in from London, did they find a cure?

I finally got into the building where Malcolm's office was. It was a hell of a walk. But I needed to think anyway. In my mind, I started pondering the good news. She could live again, have a life, maybe we could reconnect. That would never work. I told myself to stop lying to yourself. thinking about last night, I could just retire. I can let everything that happened just lay to rest. I could finally just live and continue with O.M.I. be a philanthropist. What the hell am I gonna do with all this money when I die? I wonder if Bruce Wayne. Ever asked himself these questions.

I finally reached Malcolm's door, it was open, and he and Laura were sitting there. Talking and having breakfast. I knocked on the door even though it was open Malcolm looked up Jack you made it. Laura looked up. Jack, it's good to see you Laura said. So what's going on I asked. them both and they gave me a look like you might want to sit down. Malcolm asked Do you want some coffee? Sure Jack said.

Malcolm closed the door and then he and Laura told me the news. Does she know? I asked both of them. Laura replied. I told her this morning. Why is she still getting treatment? I asked Malcolm he said it's just slowing down the inevitable. She's trying to savor every moment. She has left. It's her decision. Jack, we're doing everything we can to make her comfortable. I know I replied, Laura looked at me and asked me for a favor. It's about the vaccine. What are your thoughts Laura asked? I replied, The O.M.I. Board of Directors would need to see proof before I can even consider presenting it. Everyone trusts my judgment. They would need to see proof. I can have all the proof you need. Malcolm said this would be a big benefit to the world Jack Laura said please consider it. I guess I better go see Claire for lunch. I said I stood up. I grab my crutches. What do I even tell her? Laura looked at me the truth, Jack she deserves the truth. I looked at Malcolm. He nodded in agreement.

I left the lab with a lot to consider. Claire's antibody cells are being used to make a vaccine. She wouldn't die in vain, she would be helping so many. but in return, we would be losing her, that was just the inevitable truth.

I know Laura and Malcolm did all they could that whole fucking team it cost a lot Well that's what you get for doing R&D. And I know I have to tell Claire the truth she deserves that.

I finally got to the hospital. Running a little bit late. I arrived at Claire's door. It's open. I knocked anyway. She's sitting at the table watching something on her tablet. It looks like the food just arrived. Maybe I'm not late after all. She looked up. Her brown eyes. Full of joy, her brown hair pulled back into a ponytail. She was wearing a beautiful blue casual dress. I replied I think I might have the wrong room. She replied. Funny, I've been waiting for a handsome man to join me for lunch. You look like the guy I've been waiting for, she said. Would you mind if I come in, I said. Not at all, Mr. Wesley. She replied. We sat down. The food smelled incredible ramen and sushi.  She had vegetables with pork belly. Mine was spicy. With Eggs and cuts of beef. Claire looked happier and more relaxed than I've ever seen her. She kept looking out the window. Kicking my feet joyfully like couples do when they're in love. Claire never lost her playfulness and love for me, not a single day and she was letting me know it.