Chapter | Eighteen

Start from the beginning

Is this what it's like to have a mom?

"You can take your vitamins after breakfast" she says. The woman grabs her purse, gives Maryanne her carry one back pack, while she has pull along both suitcases. "Is it too heavy for you?" She ask. The girl shakes her head.

"Okay, andiamo"

Mary witnessed the hussle and bussle of the airport. So many rules and procedures just to get in, yet, Angeline seemed to have everything under control. That's why she informed her that it's advisable to be there at least four hours before you board a flight. She was nervous getting past security, having to go through a scanner and possibly being patted down. Angeline had to pay extra for the Mary's suitcase plus her post weighted suitcase that needed filling up with more clothes due to her extensive stay.

With plenty of time on their hands, Mary views the planes through the window while enjoying the ice cream she was promised. Angeline does the necessary text and calls on the phone before setting it to airplane mode. She goggle's at mary delightfully eating the single scoop of simple cotton candy flavored ice cream in a cup.

"Is it good sweetie pie?" She coos. From moments at time, it seems that at every bit she takes, Angeline smiles and gives her kisses on the cheek. Mary finds it weird and the fuzzy feeling comes up again.

Getting on the plane was the easy part, however taking flight was another thing entirely. Mary tightly grips onto the seat rests, not expecting to feel the plane ascending upward. Beforehand, she recalls the lady announcing to put on the seatbelts. she realizes now that there was a high chance she would have fell if she hadn't been in her seat.

Her breathing picks up, nearing a tearful episode. Angeline catches this and  grabs onto the girl's hand for support. "You did so good," she plants a kiss to her forehead.

Angeline encourages the girl to look out the window. She is overblown by what the world looks like from up high. Scoping out the small speck she called home—mournfully watching it grow further away. It was her life.

Suddenly, Maryanne began to get queasy. There is a funny feeling in her stomach and her head feels awfully light. She does her best to hold back the feeling, but it wasn't letting up, only increasing. She rest her head down on the tray in front of her to close her eyes. Wishing the symptoms away.

"What's the matter? are you tired?" She whispers in her ear. Mary shakes her head, feeling something arising.

"Don't feel-" she sit up and shuts her mouth. Her puffy cheeks fill up with sick.

"Oh my goodness," the woman goes into action. She grabs a bag and puts it up to her face. Mary instantly releases everything she ate earlier including the gum that helped her ears from popping. Most of it lands in the bag, small bit got on her hoodie. Angeline gently blows air to her face and rubs her back as she dry heaves. A few passengers and the flight attendant were concerned and sought to see if the girl was okay.

"You're okay, sweetheart," wiping her mouth with a wet wipe. "I'm so sorry, you don't feel well". Angeline slips her to the bathroom to clean up. She touches Mary's drained face, placing a hand to her forehead and speak in soft tones. She didn't want another episode of Mary passing out. She takes her hoodie off, leaving the girl in a plain shirt.

Her first flight unlocked a new fear.

-||-

Angeline takes Mary to the parking garage. She trails aside like a lost puppy observing everything different and new about this state she's in—The weather, the smell. She open the trunk of her silver Genesis sedan and puts everything in. Angeline apprehensively watches mary hop in the front seat.  She prefers her to sit in the back because of her height and weight. At the hospital, they estimated her as a standing height of four feet, five inches and a weight of fifty pounds. She will allow it only for today.