Chapter | Fourteen

Start from the beginning

On the bus, she jots down the possible places Benjamin could have gone to in her head. The first place, she automatically acknowledged was their community—at the dead end road in grace town. Watching from the window seat, It went from a drizzle to full pouring rain. Then suddenly stops in the span of ten minutes.

Stepping in murky puddles and begging her knees to cooperate, she finds herself near the familiar dead end back ways. Without warning a police car parked in front of a fully open gate. The black and white 'No trespassing' sign that once was standing, is down on the ground. Several officers are tossing out bags, boxed and tents. If she stood around longer chances are she would have been spotted, so the older woman fleas the scene angry and heartbroken. The safe space she called home for the past seven years is no longer. Her bags that contains clothes and memorabilia are left behind. Another time, she can only hope to go back for them. She blames herself for not being wise enough to know that trespassing has its consequences. She just couldn't see anything wrong with it at the time.

The older woman searched in other potential areas that Benjamin could be seen. The alley, bakery, nearby neighborhoods. Still, he was no where to be seen. Hours in, it was only natural for her to start panicking. Heat waving over her body, she swiftly takes off her windbreaker jacket to tie it around her waist. Hope and determine is fading fast. Elaine is opting to give up her search for him. Nevertheless, she continuously reminds herself why she is here in the first place.

Further in her journey, she witness a crime scene. The area blocked by police cars and an ambulance truck. Looking closer, she sees the infamous yellow tape blocking the area and also what appears to be a body covered in a white sheet stained with blood. Elaine rejected every negative thought in her mind, until a small detail confirms her worst fear.

-|||-

Back at the hospital, Mary is annoyed, while Angeline is slightly impatient. She's working hard to get the young girl to eat. Right now, She has displayed a small assortment of food on the table for her and Mary, but mostly for Mary.

"Come on, sweetheart. Eat something," Angeline is practically begging. The state of the girls malnourished body worries her.

"Im not hungry!" a streak of anger in her voice. She has a headache and her stomach aches. Her father is still missing, therefore food is the last thing she wants right now. Maryanne has never been forced to eat this much in her entire life. A little went a long way for her. She could save food for days.

"I understand, you must be overwhelmed by what happening now, but I can't have you passing out on me. You barely ate the sandwich I gave you earlier". Mary is silently looking down at the soup that's placed in front of her. Angeline sighs as the girl makes no effort in picking up the plastic spoon. She push back the fly aways behind her ears. Angeline has been trying to get her eat for over thirty minutes now. Should she choose to let up a little?

"How about if you eat this donut," she points to the glazed pastry. "I won't force you to eat for the rest to of the day". She crosses her fingers under the table. Mary stares at the doughnut for a whole minute before picking it up.

"Okay," Her teeth sinks into the sweet and soft dough. She holds back from making a pleasing sound from her mouth. It's been a while since she had a doughnut. It was the time when she dumpster dived behind that popular doughnut shop.

"Good girl! I'm so proud of you," Angeline coos at her. The sweet appraisal sends the same butterflies fluttering through her body.

She needs to be stopped.

Truly, Angeline can be unaware of her actions. It comes as a second nature. Who can blame her? She has two cats after all.