Chapter Twenty Four: How It All Started

I smile a venomous smile at her before silently walking out the door, head held high in satisfaction. Cole is standing right outside the door, seeming to be waiting for me.

I raise an eyebrow as I close the door behind me. I cross my arms, taking in his disapproving but at the same time, admiring look. "What?" I hiss at him.

"I heard your conversation." He narrows his eyes. "I've never heard you...'do it'...in person."

"Do what?" I furrow my brows.

He rolls his eyes. "Break someone like that."

"Haven't had the chance to in a while." I shrug.

"Where'd you learn to do it?" He questions.

"You mean who taught me?"

He nods. "I taught myself," I answer simply.

"But you weren't always like this, right? What made you. . .turn?"

I sigh tiredly and sit down against the apartment wall. He sits down next to me and holds my hand. "Everything in my life was wrong. So wrong. People would tell me all these horrible things. And I believed them. Until finally, I realized- they would say something as simple as 'you're worthless' and I would cry myself to sleep."

I look at him. "So I thought to myself, 'imagine what I could do if I knew exactly what words to say to these people that were hurting me. I could destroy them."

I run my fingers through my hair. "I got obsessed with it at first, was overly obsessed with the power I had with my words. I looked into the people who hurt me and stalked them, so I'd know exactly what words to say to hurt them. Like I said, eventually I just did it for fun. But I learned to control it and use it only when necessary."

I purse my lips and look at him, studying his face for signs of what he was thinking.

He takes a deep breath. "Wow."

"Yeah."

"I'm sorry you had a rough past."

My eyes soften. "You went to jail, Cole. You probably have had it worse."

He shakes his head. "I deserve to be in jail, Ariana. You know me and my temper- I'm a killer. In fact," he says, then swallows. I already know what's coming. "The other night when we fought, it happened again."

"How old was she?" I ask softly.

"It was a boy. He was around fifteen." Cole squeezes his eyes shut. "I can't control myself, Ari. One day I'm scared that I'll take it out on you."

I shake my head. "I can defend myself. And I think you can control yourself enough around me- you wouldn't hurt me, definitely not kill me."

He takes a deep breath and stands. "Come on, let's go back to the motel."

\\\\
Vote & comment! ((: almost 1k reads OMGGG