Chapter Ten: A New Partner

*One year later*

"Get up here, Cole!" I hiss as quietly as possible.

He climbs up the building and brushes off his pants. "Sorry, I fell."

"I noticed, now come on, they're catching up!" We jump from roof to roof in an attempt to escape the two people dressed in black chasing us.

I didn't know who they were, but they were pissing me off. They had managed to get my gun off of me, but instead of showing it justice, the bigger one threw it in the river. I had managed to distract them with a kick to the groin and that had given me and Cole a chance to run.

So now we were running for our lives. "It's Quinn! She's trying to kill me!" I hiss out in between breathes. I recognize the technique the men are using- it's the same technique I use, the same technique I taught Quinn.

"Why?!" Cole demands as he pants.

"That," I answer. "Is what I don't know."

Finally we manage to get far enough away from our pursuers and duck behind a couple of garage cans in an alley.

A few minutes later, after we hear them pass by, we come out. I brush off my now dusty leggings.

"That was close," Cole huffs, wiping his forehead.

"Too close," I mutter. I was mad. Mainly at myself for not being prepared enough. "They took my gun and that was it. We could be dead now. I'm sorry, I wasn't thinking. I should've fought. I should've done something. I was being cowardly by running and making you follow. Ugh- I'm sorry," I spit, frustrated.

Cole smiles slightly and takes a step closer. "It's okay, don't blame yourself." He rubs my arm, attempting to comfort me.

I pull away and sigh. "That should've never been possible. I can't believe I let that happen," I growl, looking away. "But whatever, doesn't matter now. We're going home."

We call a taxi and I sit on the side of the seat. I'm prepared to take flight- my legs are up against the door, I'm on the edge of my seat, and my hands are on the door handle.

"Drop us off here," I say to the taxi driver as we near an alley a couple blocks from my apartment.

The lady stops the car and I hand her some cash. I try to get out but the doors are locked. I frantically pull on them and Cole does the same. "Now, now, calm down! I'm not letting you kids out in this part of town in the middle of the night without confirmation from a parent that you'll be safe," the lady says.

I lean forward, getting close to her face. "I'm the reason you don't go out alone at night," I spit, reaching over her and unlocking the doors myself. I climb out and the lady speeds away.