🐍 Schemer of the Scalding Sands: Chapter 19 🐍

Start from the beginning

"Phew...We finally made it out of that stupid room," Grim happily says as he watches her dust her clothes.

"I suddenly understand how pasta must feel going through a pasta maker," she sighs, shivering at the experience.

"Okay, let's get back to Ramshackle Dorm while we can," Grim quietly say and Angel nods as they start to walk through the hallway. "Just gotta be niiice and quiet..." Suddenly the sound of roaring fills the hallway, shocking the duo, looking around for the source only to see that the sound came from grim' stomach. "Mrow!?" he exclaims in shock. "Ah, crud! I was diggin' so hard there, it made me hungry..." he says.

"And at the worst time?!" Angel sweat dropped at the statement.

"What was that earth-shaking noise just now?!" A student says with a jolt, looking around the hallway.

The other student listens to the noise. "It came from the Ramshackle students' room!" They declare as they head towards the room.

The sound of footsteps approach the two and they look at the hallway in shock. "Whuh-oh. We're in trouble now!" Grim says as students turn the corner, seeing the two outside of their room.

"What do you think you're doing there?!" A student yells at them, flinching at the sight.

"Myah, they found us!" Grim exclaims.

"What are you doing outside?! I know we locked that door tight!" The other student exclaims as they look at the duo in disbelief.

The other student looks to the wall, seeing the hole, eyes wide in surprise. "Ah! There's a hole in the floor!" He exclaims. "You really don't know when to give up, do you?" He yells at the two.

"We've got runners!" The student yells, making the two shocked. "After them!" He pulls out a whistle and blows it, the screeching sound starting to fill not only the hallway, but the entire dorm. A thundering sound approaches the duo, hearing that it was a stampede of footsteps heading to their location, and quickly too.

"If they catch us, it's back to the life of prisoner! Cheese it!" Grim says as he starts running away from the students and Angel following. When the two started running, a group of students reach the initial two, seeing their 'guests' running and tailing after them in pursuit.

"After them! After them!" They chant as they run after the two, making them look behind them to see a stampede of students after them.

"We've got to find a hallway that can at least lose them, Grim!" Angel says as they run, turning into another hallway, hopefully to lose them, only to see them turn the corner as well. "Let's just try to get them off our tail," she asks and Grim nods in agreement, focusing on escaping. The two head down stairs and other hallways, trying to shake their pursuers off their trail but it only fails as they continue to tail them, at least seeing that they are lagging behind but still determined to get the two. The two run in a hallway, not really caring about where they ended up at this point, but hopeful to at least get rid of them, only to hear the sound of footsteps quickly approaching the two.

The two quickly look around, the feeling of exhaustion settling in as they stop, trying to find some way to lose their pursuers. When they stop, they look to see doors surrounding them, only to look behind them to see shadows of students catching up to them, making them look around in a panic. "Let's just duck into a random room and let 'em pass us!" Grim quickly says as Angel heads to a random door and opens it, letting Grim and herself in before shutting the door, leaving them in the dark as they hear footsteps approaching the door.

"Where'd they go? Split up and find them!" A student commands on the other side of the door.

"Show yourselves, street rat!" Another student yells. Soon enough, the footsteps start to recede, getting fainter as the students run away from the door.

The two release a sigh of relief at the sound, glad that they threw off their pursuers. "Phew...I think they're gone," Grim says in relief.

"It's only a matter of time before they find us though," Angel says as she hears distant shouting in the hallways. "Our backs are against the wall here," she sighs.

"Maaan..." Grim says as he walks in the room. "There's gotta be some way to lose those guys!" He says as he looks around, remembering that they just went into a random, dark room without any visibility. "What room is this, anyway?" Grim asks as he holds his paws out. "It's too dark to see anything." He feels something poking him, making him confused. "Hm? Why's there somethin' soft and fuzzy nudgin' my face?" He asks in confusion, only to laugh. "Heh heh, that tickles! Angel, use that phone of yours to give us some light."

Angel pulls out her phone, happy at the fact that it wasn't lost from the chase, and turned on the flashlight, a dim light lighting up the room, but it was enough to know that they were surrounded by the familiar sight of gold. She points the phone towards Grim, making him see what was poking him, only to see the carpet 'staring' at him in the face, shocking him.

"Woah, geez!" He quietly screams, trying not to get the attention of their pursuers. "You scared the daylights outta me! I was about to scream and everything." The carpet starts to fly around, making him look around with the light, seeing the familiar sight of treasure. "This is Kalim's treasury, huh?" Grim says in awe only to think about it. "They don't lock up the treasure?" He skeptically asks in disbelief.

"It's quite amazing how secure they think this school is," Angel sweat drops at the statement, knowing well enough if certain people found out about this, they would just rush off and take it.

The carpet floats towards the two in curiosity, as if wondering why there were people in the treasury at this hour, only to dismiss it and float around them, happy at the idea of a potential ride. Grim looks at the carpet, a thought appearing in his head. "Oooh, that's it!" He exclaims. "If you help us, we can shake off the patrols and get outside!" He says to the carpet. The carpet 'looks' at him in confusion. "Hey, carpet!" He calls out, almost as if bringing the carpet out of its thoughts. "I'll let you out if you can carry us outta the dorm!" The carpet 'brightens' at the news and flattens itself, as if allowing the duo to climb on it. "Great. All aboard, Angel!" Grim says as he jumps on it and Angel carefully steps on it, seeing that it didn't really mind and settled herself on it. "And goodbye, Scarabia!" Grim says as the carpet starts to float.

She pats the carpet, trying to get it to understand their situation. "Sorry about this, but thanks for helping us," she says to the carpet and the carpet waves its tassels around, as if saying no problem and started to lift off, taking the two with it to the window.