🐍 Schemer of the Scalding Sands: Chapter 18 🐍

Start from the beginning

"He's right, Vice Housewarden. We won't stand for this!" Another student angrily says.

"Social status and wealth aren't supposed to matter here on campus. We're all supposed to be equals!" Another student says.

Jamil look at the students in concern. "But, ah..."

"Scarbia is a dorm built around the Sorcerer of the Sands' spirit of mindfulness," one student says. "I've always felt that someone thoughtful like Jamil deserves the seat of house leader way more than Kalim," they declare.

"Slow down," Jamil quickly says, trying to dismiss the student's declaration. "I'm not special or superior to anyone else. My grades are dead average. One a scale of one to ten, mine are fives across the board. I'm not fit to be housewarden."

"Magical talent isn't what decides who befits the dorm's spirit," the student says.

"What do you guys think?" A student asks the others. "Who's the most suitable housewarden out of everyone here?"

"Oh, it's Jamil, no question!" One student says.

"Yeah," another student agrees. "Jamil is way more fit to be Scarabia housewarden than Kalim!"

"We can't just accept an incompetent housewarden because he was born into a rich family!" A student says in anger.

"That's right! Scarabia's got no use for a leader who can't lead!" Another student declares.

"Scarabia won't suffer an incompetent housewarden!" The students say in unison, shocking the three.

Angel looked at the students gathered in anger. "T-this is getting way to out of hand here!" She quietly tells Grim and Grim nods.

"Ain't no way we gonna stay here longer is this continues to happen!" He says, looking at the students.

Suddenly, the sound of a closed door fill the room and everyone freezes, looking to the door to spot Kalim glaring at them. "What are all of you doing, gathered together at this hour?" He asks, shocking everyone.

"Gah! Busted!" Grim exclaims.

"K-Kalim..." Jamil calmly says, trying not to rile up Kalim.

"Morning training clearly wasn't enough for you, if you still have energy to burn," he coldly says. "Jamil! Take the students out to the courtyard this instant," he commands.

"The courtyard, sir?" Jamil asks in confusion.

"We'll do magic training until their bodies give out," he states, making everyone astonished.

"That's ridiculous!" A student yells out.

"I dunno about you, but I'm already way past my limit!" Grim whines.

"Do I need to repeat myself? Hurry up!" Kalim commands.

Jamil looks at Kalim. "...Fine," he says quietly and then looks to the group of students. "Come on, everyone. Out." Everyone shuffle their way out of the door, trying to avoid eye contact with Kalim as they head to the courtyard for their training. While passing by Kalim, Angel took a glance at him, hoping to see some sort of change or at least sign that he was back to his 'usual' personality, but it was no use as he only glared at her, making her flinch to catch up with the others. She sighs as she looks at the crowd, remembering what the students said about Kalim.

"When I first enrolled, I had trouble adjusting to dorm life. He lent me a shoulder and let me air it all out."

"When I was struggling to keep up in school and ready to drop out, he joined me for late-night cram sessions to catch up."

"Sometimes he's a little cavalier and not totally on top of things, but we all loved our housewarden."

How could they all switch up on him like that? All because of his family? There's no way that could be it. She even remembered Kalim saying that at the school, everyone was equal as classmates, so...why now? What happened to him to change his mind?

"Angel?" Jamil calls out, bringing her out of her thoughts. "I know you're tired, but if we keep delaying it we might have to incur his wrath more."

She looks at Jamil, remembering Kalim's glare. "Yes, you're right. I just have to suck it up then," she gives him a slight smile.

He smiles back at her. "If things get to hard, just tell me and I'll try to find leeway for you to rest." Something waves over her. "It'll only be a little while though, but I'm sure it'll help you for a bit."

"You're so thoughtful, Jamil," she says with a smile. "I'm sure Kalim is happy to have you by his side."

Jamil smile at the words. "I'm sure he is as well," he says as the two join the students to their trek to the courtyard, not noticing the smirk on Jamil's face.