Come back to me

Adelaide's POV

I remember when I was younger, I would get days where I would just lay in bed without any energy to move. I used to sit and wonder why some days I woke up feeling worse than others. Then when I was on my period I used to ponder my whole existence, while sitting on the toilet with the most painful period cramps and diarrhoea shooting out my arse, I used to wonder, is having kids really worth it? Why is it only us women who go through this? Shouldn't there be a male equivalent of a period to even it out?

Sometimes I would just lay completely still, eyes closed, lights off, as if my lack of noise would somehow eliminate my existence in this world. Every time I laid there hoping for God to cause a natural hazard or just kill me in my sleep I was always woken up by the same voice. He would never let me stay there for too long. He didn't exactly know what was wrong with me, all he knew was that I had "issues" which he employed a therapist to talk to me about, but with the life I lead and the things I did I could barley tell her anything.

The same voice that always brought me out of my daze rang through my ears again. This time his voice was full of worry and anxiety. 'I can't hear her heart' he said. Was he talking about me? I'm here. I can hear him. I'm so close to reaching out and opening my eyes but I can't. It's like I'm trapped in my own body, and the button I need to press to allow myself to gain control is just at my fingertips ready for me to click it, but it stays just there, at my fingertips. Never pulling away but never getting closer either.

I don't understand anything that's happening. For Nik to speak to me he must've been alive right? But if he is alive why can't I wake up? I know I definitely can't be dead, I've died before and last time I was looking at my body rather than being locked in it. But I'm not breathing. He can't hear my heartbeat. So I am dead? Or maybe I'm in between the living and dead.

Elijah's POV

She's been like this for hours now. I don't know whether to call her grams and tell her or if I wait it out. She's still warm, but there's no heartbeat. Her skin is grey and covered in veins, there's no rise and fall from her chest and all her muscles are completely limp. I thought about calling Kol to ask him if he knew what was going on with her, if she would come back or not, but he beat me to it

Kol : What the bloody hell is going on?

Elijah: Niklaus is dead

Kol: I was referring to Mari, I think she's in trouble-or kidnapped-or maybe unconscious-

Elijah: she's here-

Kol: put her on the phone

Elijah: she's not awake, I don't know if she dead or not, she has viens running all over her body, her skin's grey and she's not breathing

Kol: I think she may be fine

Elijah: how do you know?

Kol: I don't know that's why I said I think. I felt something was wrong but I never sensed death- just give me a few minutes I'm not far from home, I'll be there in about 5 minutes

Kol certainly knows more than me so for now I'll believe anything he says about Adelaide's condition.

***************

It took a while for Kol to get here but when he did, he simply looked Adelaide over and told me she was fine.

"There are black veins covering her entire body" I say

"She's fine. She can probably hear us right now. She just can't move yet"

"Is there a way to get her to wake up earlier?"