Chapter 13 - Part 2

Start from the beginning

Nelson Vega looked at Cora. His face was impassive despite the brutal act. "You can make it easier and have the freedom to leave this place on your own two feet," the Captain said.

"You slaughtered hundreds of people without mercy," Cora spat. A strong smell of rancid invaded his nostrils.

The officer grimaced and slapped him. The burning sensation came immediately, but lighter than Cora had expected. It wasn't a blow to harm, it was a clear message on who was in charge.

"We only asserted our rights. Unfortunately, those who did not comply had to submit to the law. Now, tell me, where did you leave the Seorite?" Vega's gaze became ferocious. "Or I swear I'll pierce your heart!"

Cora trembled, and his legs couldn't hold the weight of his body.

Vega relaxed his shoulders. "I'm sorry for my manners, but I think you'll agree with me that following us outside the boundaries of this city is the best solution," he whispered. In his eyes, Cora could see the madness of a predator, the thirst for blood that he would satisfy.

The Kharzanian who held him shook him more vigorously, and the medallion that Cora kept in his pocket fell to the ground along with a handful of coins. Vega raised an eyebrow and bent down to pick up the broken plaque. "And what's this?" he asked, holding it with two fingers and examining it closely.

"Give it back to me! It's mine!" Cora reached out, but in vain. "It's my father's!"

A smile appeared on Nelson Vega's face. "Really?" He looked at Cora. "Hmm, then we're on the same side." He returned the medallion to its place in the boy's pocket. "Ethan wouldn't be proud of your behavior."

Cora opened his mouth, but no sound came out. He shook his head and pointed at Aran. "We're not on the same side! You're murderers!"

Vega gestured to his man to release Cora. The boy turned to look at the soldier and swallowed.

"I understand," said Captain Nelson Vega. "You think you'd be betraying your friends if you told me where the shipment is... honorable in some ways." He nodded without conviction. "But if that recognition plate really belongs to your father, you're not betraying anyone. You have Kharzanian blood, and by birthright, you can apply for citizenship." His voice was calm. "I can help you with the paperwork in Edel."

Cora frowned. "Kharzanian by birthright?" he muttered.

Someone appeared at the entrance to the alley. "Kallup, look who's here," said Hyon, leaning on his own cane and tapping it on the ground with every step. The blue stone is clearly visible.

"Where are the Amanastrian laces?" one of Vega's men muttered.

Next to the master was someone much taller than him: a Zalesian from what his skin tone suggested, with one eye completely white and an unsavory face. He showed the Duke's crest tattooed on his forearm and joined the Kharzanians. "Captain Vega... Captain Vega," he said with a powerful voice. With one hand, he shook the man holding Aran like a twig. "You've already met my guests!"

Nelson Vega threw his cigarette to the ground and ordered his men to step back.

Kallup pointed to the cigarette butt. "Kindly... pick it up." He looked at the captain. "We care about the cleanliness of the streets, and it seems to me that they've been stained enough today."

Vega forced a smile. "Oh... maybe you misunderstood. We were just talking." He approached Cora and reached out to stroke his hair, but the boy pushed his hand away.

"Don't touch me!" he yelled.

Meanwhile, Hyon took Aran and laid him at the entrance of a nearby house.