Chapter 12 - Part 2

The day after, after trudging through the mud of the swamp of Tyr, they climbed up to a high hill overlooking the ocean. The sea was a mosaic of blue that reflected the light of a sunny dawn. The horizon merged it with the sky in a single shade. Since they had started their escape, for the first time, Cora felt a strange sense of peace.

In the center of the plain, a single mountain stood a few steps away from the water: a solitary king guarding his land, adorned with a crown of bricks and wearing a cloak of emerald green.

"That's Amanastre," Camiel began. "I would have liked to come back here for different reasons than escorting five kids running from the Kharzanians." A satisfied smile spread across his face. "But we made it before afternoon, we did well."

"Thanks, Camiel! I would have liked to visit it calmly and definitely not with you!" Elidana grumbled, and continued on with Fez and Marmorel.

Perched on the top of the mountain was the free city, and around it a beaten path snaked down to the port. From there, a single road connected the chaos of huts, warehouses, and sheds to a wider road that continued northward, towards Badur.

The closer they got, the more the number of carts filled with wood, sacks, and cookware, overflowing their capacity, increased.

Camiel pointed to the port. Among the numerous boats, two military ships stood out, both flying the Kharzanian flag.

"They found us?" Aran asked, his voice worried."You said this would be a safe place!"

"Amanastre has a strict rule: neutrality," replied Camiel. A few steps away from the Kharzanians, other boats occupied the dock. Zalesian ships and Hozmanian vessels, these were moored beyond the basin, at the end of the port.

"What does that mean?" Fez asked, holding the faithful bolt in his hand.

"If a war were to break out tomorrow between the Empire of Hozma and Kharzan, Amanastre would still welcome both nations," said the warrior. "In this city, neither can lift a finger against the other."

Cora listened carefully, but couldn't believe every word. The fact that the government of Edel did not impose any restrictions or use force against that insignificant group of houses above the mountain seemed almost like a joke to him.

"And then there are the Goliaths."

"What are the Goliaths?" Aran asked, still skeptical.

"Defense mechanisms, towering armor four stories tall and stationed in strategic points throughout the city. But you'll see them with your own eyes."

They crossed the plain and arrived at the crossroads halfway between the port and the mountain. Camiel only paused for a moment to catch his breath. "Now we have to climb. Let's try to be discreet. If the Kharzanians knew where we were, they would try to get us out of the duchy's borders in every way."

The path was narrow and winding, so much so that a single cart would barely pass. Here and there along the way, Cora noticed small rusted platforms lifted by giant mechanical arms and powered by rudimentary Cec systems.

After the arduous climb, a square opened up in front of them and the boys rested their tired legs on a low wall. It was a fairly crowded stopping point, just before the start of the second part of the trail. Cora looked around, savoring a sense of normalcy that seemed lost. There, merchants negotiated with each other and draft animals dipped their heads into watering troughs. It was a perimeter defended by numerous firearms and just as many guards. Even though, at that moment, they were chatting while sitting in the shade of a tree. Men armed with long lances wearing a pompous uniform of purple fabric with white diamonds in the center; attire that had little to do with their usefulness in battle. On the flag attached to the tip of the weapons was the two-headed eagle holding a ear of wheat in its claws.