Chapter 8 - Part 1

Camiel was glowing with light from all directions, orange sparks trailing behind him as he ran frantically through the forest. He leaped to avoid a small rock and continued his rapid escape.

He hadn't stopped for two days; the words of the shadow being in front of Lud's orphanage kept invading his mind during moments of concentration. But the Seorite on his sword was about to run out; he knew he had to shake off his pursuers and also knew they wouldn't give up the chase.

"Whatever that creature did, it would come in handy now," he murmured briefly. The voices in his head took over again, and he surrendered to the will of the stones.

Behind him, three Kharzanian soldiers in battle armor intercepted him shortly after the Valley of the Oath.

The fallen soldiers at the orphanage must have been able to communicate his location. But at that moment, he didn't care; they were on him, just a few minutes away.

That morning he had caught a glimpse of the city of Clodia, but the Voice of the Soul had prevented him from formulating a strategy. He could only put one foot in front of the other and avoid obstacles in his path. Camiel wanted to stop for a moment to analyze the situation.

Under normal circumstances, he wouldn't have had any problems. However, such a long and intense chase was taking a toll on him, and all he could do was run. The rapid movement of branches, trees, and foliage alternated with small clearings where he could pick up speed. The heat and the oppressive humidity made it even more difficult to navigate the rugged terrain. He emerged from the forest and saw some tracks. He jumped onto them and ran with his head down.

He looked up and saw a small station getting closer. It had to be closed: the level crossing was destroyed. He put his free hand in his pocket and sprang to throw himself against the entrance door. He kicked it down and as soon as he was inside, he regained full control of his body. The whispers disappeared. He dropped a blue crystal on the doorpost as the aura around him vanished. "Come on in... come on in, at least one," he whispered, every muscle in his body ready to react.

Inside the station, there was no one, furnished with only a single service table destroyed in half. From the corner under the staircase came the smell of rotten food.

He heard the sound of the Cec systems. He flexed his knees and took another step back. However, none of the Kharzanian soldiers crossed the threshold. He looked at the sword. The Seorite's core was not yet exhausted, but it would be insufficient to sustain a fight. The surface of the stone had already become pale and rippled. He sighed. "No Voice of the Soul and three enemies in armor; I was really stupid to throw myself into this situation," he burst out. He ran up the stairs, leaving the small crystal on the door.

He entered a small room and looked out the window. He held a firm grip on the weapon's handle. Outside, he saw trees scattered in clumps near the forest and behind the tracks. He remained for a moment looking at the vegetation. A look at the sword and then he studied the room.

There was a very narrow and dirty bed, the springs had torn the fabric and padding. On the wall was a termite-eaten wardrobe. "Tzk..." he muttered disdainfully. He grabbed the Seorite embedded on the hilt: the ring lit up, and the metal that embraced the large stone contracted slightly. He made a fold in his shirt sleeve and rubbed his wrist bracelet with two fingers. With the orange Seorite in hand, he narrowed his eyes and forced himself to focus a symbol in his mind. From the bracelet, an orange sprout emerged. The ring of a bell started from the stone, which lit up and the glow spilled out from the dense nucleus to expand like smoke. He closed his eyes tighter, the light became solid, liquid and enveloped the Seorite in an unnatural glow. Camiel threw it in the direction of the first row of trees, beyond the tracks.