Chapter 2 -Part 1

Cora opened his eyes and jumped out of bed. He looked out the window and saw that the sun had already risen. "What am I doing in my room?" he wondered, stunned. The last things he remembered were the necklace and the tree. He threw back the covers and reached for his clothes, but he discovered that someone was already in the chair. "Elidana, what are you doing here?" he asked, touching her shoulder. She was curled up asleep, her head bowed and a cloth in her hand.

She woke up and rubbed her eyes, but her eyes opened wide when she saw him close to her face. She threw herself at him and hugged him tightly. "How are you? You had us all worried," she said.

Cora scratched his head. "Eh?" he said, taking a deep breath. He pushed her long hair away and sat down on the bedspread. "I'm fine," he whispered, even more stunned than before. "What happened to me?"

Elidana had a tired face and deep bags under her eyes. "You fell," she said quickly. "You disappeared into the roots of the Great Jalme!" She put a hand on his forehead. "The sawmill workers helped in the search," she explained, feeling his arms. "You passed out underground and slept for two whole days," she added. "Aran and Fez were here all night."

He backed away on the bed. "Aran's mom's necklace?" he asked fervently.

"What do you care about the necklace? You're not going to Edel, are you?" she replied and patted him on the head.

He looked away and gazed at the dark floor thoughtfully. He looked back at her and tried to find the right tone. "What did you tell Mrs. Flint?"

"Nothing!" she replied, crossing her arms over her chest. "But you're not leaving Lud. Mrs. Flint agrees with me."

Cora clenched his fists and furrowed his brow. He pointed towards the door and grabbed his clothes. "Well, we'll see! I have no intention of missing this opportunity! Now get out, I need to change." He stuck his hand in his pocket and discovered that he only had a pebble. He handed it to her in a distracted manner, and she nodded. "This time, I could have waited," the girl said.

Cora gave her a nod. "See you downstairs."

Elidana stood up. "Mrs. Flint is worried. Don't make the situation worse." She left and closed the door behind her. Cora stuck his hand in the other pocket and rummaged until his fingers touched the cold metal. Ethan's plate was still there. He tightened his grip on it. Going to Edel for him was much more important than a small accident: he wanted to know, he wanted to give meaning to his past.

"That woman is apprehension personified!" he grumbled as he put on his suspenders. "But I won't let her ruin the trip."

He went down the stairs two at a time; Elidana's words spun in his mind. On the ground floor, he saw Mrs. Flint preparing breakfast for the young guests at the orphanage.

Cora slowed down. "Good morning." He took a cookie as if nothing was wrong, but kept his eyes on the woman's movements.

She jumped and wiped her hands on the flowery apron. "Why are you up?" she ran towards him, hugging him. "Dr. Filius was clear. Go back to bed and I'll bring you breakfast, don't overexert yourself." She spoke in a frantic tone.

Cora furrowed his brow. "Mrs. Flint, I just slept a bit longer than expected. I'm fine," he said, before walking away from her.

"Anyway, this has been your last stunt!" she exclaimed, with her hands on her hips. Cora didn't answer and drank his glass of milk under her gaze. "And I'll also tell you that I'm sorry for your noble intentions, but you won't be leaving in these circumstances," she concluded, raising her chin and straightening her shoulders.

He dropped the spoon on the table. He stiffened and stared at her defiantly. "I'm not leaving," my ass! I made a commitment and I'm going to Clodia, whether you like it or not!" He slammed his fists on the table.