Chapter 13 - Part 1

Comenzar desde el principio

"Yes, sir!" Cora replied in one breath. He gestured to Camiel to find out what to do. He was completely lost now. They had fled from assassins, were injured, and hadn't rested in days. Yet everyone, including Camiel, complied with the old man's timing and ways of preparing lunch. Even Fez, who he was sure would empty the pantry, seemed to maintain some decorum.

"A few days ago, at the Dried Swine," Hyon continued, "Kharzanian soldiers posted a bounty of twenty thousand gold coins for the capture of an Hozman and thirty thousand for five boys, including one from Zalesia."

Marmorel hugged her knees and hunched her shoulders.

The master smiled at her and continued: "There was a commotion. Some Meliro sailors got up from the table ready for a fight. To calm things down, the Duke's guards intervened."

"Damn it, Camiel! They're looking for us here too," barked Aran.

"Aran, right? Well, don't worry, no one will come looking for you. The Duke is very strict, and the laws of Amanastre won't allow five boys to be mistreated within its borders."

Camiel sat down, squinted his eyes, and massaged his forehead. "I'm sure they haven't followed us. They don't know for certain that we're in Amanastre." Cora tried to pass in front of him with glasses in hand, and he moved his feet.

"Tell me what you did to make those fanatics angry with you. Is there really a huge shipment of Seorite?" asked Hyon. He took the fish off the fire and made seven portions. He took a brimming mug of wine, some chunks of bread, sat at the head of the table, and invited the others to do the same.

"There is no Seorite shipment; they made it all up," said Elidana.

Hyon caught Camiel's gaze as he shrugged. "Okay, we'll talk about it later," the master said and skewered the fish while it was still warm. "Enjoy your meal; I hope you like it."

They ate with relish, and after a few minutes, both Aran and Cora had already cleaned their plates. Marmorel chewed in small bites, while Fez paid no attention to etiquette and even devoured the heads left by others.

Hyon stretched on his chair and drank another glass of wine. "Well, who wants to buy some clothes? Unfortunately, I have nothing in your size upstairs."

Camiel scratched his chin. "I would say all the boys except Fez.. Without him, they would go unnoticed even by the Kharzanians," said the Hozman.

"Why do I always have to be left out?" Fez asked in a low voice, looking at Cora.

"I'm sorry, but it's the most logical choice," continued the master. "I have an appointment with Kallup in the afternoon. Camiel can help you with the cleaning."

Fez raised an eyebrow. "What cleaning?" The master pointed to the dishes and the grill, then gestured to the dusty surfaces and winked at him. "Don't think that hospitality in my house is a vacation."

The master took a handful of coins from his pocket and handed them to Aran. "Make them last, please."

"I'll make sure to repay you back as soon as possible," said the boy, and went outside. Cora and Marmorel thanked the master and followed.

"See you later," Elidana said.

Cora and Elidana were walking along the main road at a leisurely pace, perhaps even a bit slower, enough to let the other two stay well ahead of them. Marmorel, with Aran at her side, would occasionally stop to gaze inside the luxurious shops in the city, while young Allet carried some of the purchased clothes.

Cora felt the remaining coins in his pocket. "I can't believe we spent all this gold on five pieces of clothing," he muttered. The scent of freshly baked bread wafted from a nearby alley. "We could get something for Fez," he suggested. "I'm sorry he had to stay at the master's house."