𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 24. the main character's downfall

Depuis le début

"Rachel explained everything to me, but before she could give me a solution, she left. That's why I'm coming to you."

"Of course she ran away... That's something we were all supposed to fucking forget."

"Are you kidding?"

The boy's anger and fear had spoken for him. He regretted those words and stood up too, the jaw trembling.

His hands were clammy and his legs numb, and he wanted to run away too, but... Nana's worsening condition kept him in the room, and he had to act.

"Listen, what I'm about to tell you must never leave this room. Do you understand?"

"Yes, of course."
She was shocked by his tone.

"I'm serious no one can know."

He looked menacing, but it was mostly to hide his immense fear. It was as if he were about to confess something forbidden.

The teen had straightened up, ready to hear what Jungwon had to say, but he was petrified.

"A year ago, when the occult club still existed... Rachel, the other members and I used to do invocations."
His voice was fragile, "We'd do anything, even if we believed in black magic we were convinced it wasn't going to work. It never did, until that day..."

It was unexpected; the young woman couldn't help looking at him with round, frightened eyes. She was afraid of what he would say next; she was afraid of everything now.

Jungwon had paused for a few seconds before resuming. His throat was knotted, as if he wanted to keep his secret a little longer.

"Something evil was summoned that rushed at Rachel and possessed her. We couldn't tell anyone, so for days we tried counter-spells to help her. Meanwhile, she was unrecognizable and becoming dangerous."

She covered her mouth with a hand, unable to hold back all the emotions she was going through.

"One day, we stumbled upon the right book. Rachel was able to make it."

"...How?"

"Only she knows, it was an invocation to be done absolutely alone in a dark and dilapidated room. She didn't tell us."

"What about the book?"
He'd opened his mouth but said nothing; the young woman was losing patience and patted him on the shoulder. "Jungwon, the book?"

"This event traumatized us so much, we swore never to say anything, we closed the club and... Rachel burned the book."

"Is that why you closed the club?!"

"Yes."

It was another betrayal. Rachel had told her that the club had closed due to a lot of mockery, but never because of a ritual gone wrong, releasing an evil spirit.