Chapter - 28

"Punch me Dante," Adrienna commanded.

 They were in the Mafia headquarters gym. She was training her brothers and brushing up their skills since school started in a few more days. They had been there since 6 in the morning training for at least 2 hours. They practiced having a light spar at the end of every training session. Well, light for Adrienna. It was now Dante's turn and she wanted to see her little brother's progress.

"I-I can't," Dante said apologetically. He simply couldn't bring himself to hit his sister. He was drenched in sweat and sighing rather loudly at his sister's command. Usually, he sparred with Damien but he was with Isabella at home. Of course, Isabella didn't know that her brothers were out training. She was told that they were in sports and had practice early in the morning. Damien was with her so she wouldn't be alone.

"You know you do this every time right. I can't determine your progress unless you spar with me. You will barely hurt me, kid," Adrienna said.

"Well, it's not really my fault that you're asking me to hit my SISTER !" Dante exclaimed.

"You spar with your brothers," Adrienna stated.

Dante didn't verbally respond but yet again gave her a pleading look. Adrienna shook her head lightly and pointed toward the punching bag. "I am not gonna force you. Hit the bag," Adrienna said he gladly did.

Adrienna let out a proud smile at Dante's technique. He was arguably the best at his age. After all, he learned from the best. His vigor and passion were evident on his face. His punches were explosive. Maybe Adrienna was not so right when she said it would barely hurt her. Dante was lost in a trance as he attacked the punching bag visciously. Jab after Jab, he became more powerful.

"You can stop now, Tigrotto," she said putting her hand on his shoulder.

Adrienna's touch pulled him out of his trance. He stopped and stood facing her panting heavily. "You did great, I am very proud," she said with a soft smile. Dante's face lit up. His big sister's approval made him happy. He let out a wide grin.

Dante took a break as Adrienna assessed Enrico. He was not as athletic as Dante but he was better than kids his age. Enrico wasn't really interested in the Mafia, unlike Dante. So, he only learning basic defense.

Meanwhile, Marco and Luciano were discussing discretely about the gang they'd caught. After the leader died they found out the spy in the gang fairly easily.

"Got any information out of them ?" Marco asked.

Luciano shook his head. "No, those imbeciles don't know a thing. They did it out of greed for money. Any luck with the tech team ?"

"Not really. Those bastards have shitty security systems. Leo cracked the code in under half an hour. They have not stored any useful info."

"It is a fairly new gang. Some fucking bastard thought that he was above the Italian Mafia and decided to do it for money. They got the money in some dodgy alleyway. They didn't even see who kept the money. Apparently, the suitcase was left unattended in the alley and they took it," Luciano explained.

"This is the shittiest gang I've ever witnessed. The spy too turned out to be a brainless idiot. He poisoned his gang 'cause he received a suitcase full of money on his doorstep and a letter asking him to poison his gang with a threat to kill him," Marco stated.

"Soo... we've found out nothing," said Luciano and let out a troubled sigh.

"You do remember we need to report today right?" Marco asked.

"Yes, Marco. It's not us who's gonna die today so congrats," Luciano joked slightly and gave Marco a pat on his back. No one would speak to Marco like that but Luciano was his best friend.

"She's gonna be so mad," Marco said knowingly.

Their training session was finally over and the boys finally went home.

"So you've found out nothing," Adrienna said coldly. It had been a few hours since their training session. Marco and Luciano were sitting in front of her in her office. They had just explained the current situation.

Luciano and Marco looked at each other for a moment. The tension in the room was intense. Marco could hear his sister's disappointment and anger in her voice.

"We think that whoever is behind this wanted us to find the gang, Donna. If they decided to give the job to such a shitty gang, it only makes sense," Luciano said.

"Si, Donna. They used someone naive to make sure they didn't get caught. Maybe they want to show their power by messing with us," Marco added.

Adrienna wordlessly looked at them piercingly intensifying her glare. She dropped her glare and stated," Let's go see them, shall we."

Both the men nodded and followed her. A devious smirk made its way on Adrienna's face as she saw the barely alive battered bodies of the men pushed against the blood-painted walls. Most of them were passed out but the ones that were awake shuddered and whimpered at her sight. She slid her gun out of its holster, and the deafening sound of the firing gun bounced off the walls. Two of the men lay on the floor with bullets in their heads. As Adrienna took aim at the third guy he cowered away in fear. 

"Please don't kill me, I have a piece of information," he shouted at the top of his lungs.

"Go on," she said as she held the gun dangerously near his throat.

"The man who g-gave the money he h-had a-a tattoo on his ne-neck," he stuttered in fear.

"How the hell do you know that ?" Adrienna asked propelling the gun further close to his throat.

"I-I saw it, that night. I saw a m-man keeping the mo-money and Julio, th-the spy take it," he said as he backed away from the threatening gun. His back crashed into the wall and he let out an agonizing scream. Adrienna held him by his neck and lifted him against the wall. It was quite a sight to see the petite 5'3 woman holding the 6'2 man by his neck dangling against the wall.

"Why did you dare hide this ?" she asked.

"I thr-threatened to report it t-to the lea-leader. H-He gave me money to silence me. I-I was afraid," he said between gasps of air as Adrienna's grip tightened.

"Do you have any evidence ?" Adrienna asked. 

The man nodded pathetically. "A-A Photo." 

She let him crash onto the floor as she removed her hand. His chest heaved up as air filled his lungs.

"Feed him." She didn't want him dead just yet. With that, she went out of the secret quarters and was back in her office.

"Luciano, send the poison used for an analysis test. I want to know who manufactured it," she ordered as she washed her blood-stained hand. When people in the underworld decide to make a kill, single person or gang they want to leave their mark. Something unique that shows their prowess. She hoped to find something like that with the poison.

"Any word on the assassins ?" she asked Marco.

"Not yet, Adrienna. Do you want me to contact them ?" he asked.

"Not yet, Marco. Tighten security at our house and at the warehouses. I want us to be prepared for anything that comes our way," she said firmly.

"Si Donna," he was about to ask for his leave but stopped. "Do you think that this may not be as big as we thought? I mean what if the ones we are trying to find are another petty gang that hoped to get away with cheating us but couldn't. Do you anticipate another attack ?"

"Whoever it is they need to be caught, Marco. That I'm sure about. No one messes with me and gets away. The security is just a precaution, with Isabella finally with us I just want to be safe," she replied but it was not the entire truth. An ominous feeling lingered inside of her and this time she wasn't taking any chances.