Eliza Dempsey

I sit back in the bed and wait for Cal to come get me. I've never been the damsel in distress type, but he's my only ticket out of here, and I can't jeopardize the plan being foiled. I stretch in the bed and sigh. At least he unbuckled the restraints before he left.

According to Cal, my father left the hospital. Cal had watched him get in his truck and leave before he came to check on me again. Neither of us know if my dad is coming back, but I don't intend on being here if he does. It's still hard for me to process what my father did, and why. Then there's the fact that even he can't explain why I'm back. The whole situation feels like a fever dream I can't wake up from.

The sky is starting to darken when Cal comes back in the room. He looks as exhasuted as I feel, but his voice is as calming as ever. "You ready, Barrow?" His smile doesn't quite reach his eyes.

I sit up straight. "Ready as I'll ever be."

Cal groans at the cliche, but hands me a brown paper bag. "Clothes," he explains.

I peek into the bag and find a pair of clean leggings, a T-shirt, and my Converse. At least he knows me well. I climb out of the uncomfortable hospital bed -seriously, who makes these things? A casket is cozier- and start to walk to the bathroom to change when something jerks my arm. I look down. Of course. Stupid IV. Liquid oozes from the point of entry. At least it's just saline, not blood. Cal gives me a quizzical look, and I hold my arm up. "Still chained to something."

"Here, let me help." He holds my arm steady and slides the tube out of my arm. I wince, not because it hurts, but because of the thought of the drip being in my body. I've never liked needles or having tests ran.

"Thanks." My smile is weak, but I mean the word. Cal nods, and the corners of his lips turn upward. I stop at the foot of the bed and pick up my chart.

I can't stop the laughter that bubbles from my chest and out of my mouth. The sudden sound of it makes Cal jump, which makes me laugh even harder.

"What? Are you okay?" Cal rushes over to me. One arm is clucthing my side from laughing so hard, and the other hand is clamped over my mouth in an attempt to keep the volume down. I can't speak, so I nod and hand him the chart. I watch his eyes scan the page once, then twice, before his own laugh bellows out. He holds onto me for support, which may be a bad idea, considering I can barely stand myself.

We can't look at each other without busting out laughing again. It probably won't be so funny looking back, but right now, after the twenty-four hours we've had, it's much needed.

"You wanna get out of that gown and go?" Cal asks, once the giggles have mostly subsided.

I nod and go to the bathroom to change.

**********

Ten minutes later, I'm ready to leave. I leave the hospital gown and grippy socks on the bathroom floor and walk out. Cal is sitting on the bed, but he stands when he sees me.

"I do owe you an apology. For everything."

I wave my hand in the air. "Cal. Don't. We're fine, I promise."

I'm not sure if he believes me, but he comes over and takes my hand anyway. We walk to the door, but I turn around.

"Forget something?" he asks. I dont answer, and walk over to the bed instead. "Eden, you okay? We don't have to go if-"

"I'm fine. Just taking this with me." I hold up the medical chart. "And please," I make my voice as deep as it can go, a la Sean Connery, "Call me Dempsey. Eliza Dempsey." I wiggle my eyebrows, and both of us are sent into spasms of giggles.

**********

Walking out of a hospital is easier than any action movie has ever made it out to be. The only struggles Cal and I had were trying to keep from laughing and a broke elevator button that resulted in us switching elevators. Five minutes later, we step out into the October sunshine. It's been so long since I've seen the sun that I could cry. The air is freeing, and I inhale lungfuls of it in an attempt to clear any of thes sterile hospital air from my body. I look back over my shoulder, but no one is coming to stop us. Maybe the thought of me leaving never crossed the staffs' minds. Who knows. All I care about is the fact that I'm free of that place, and that Cal is okay.

Speaking of. I do have questions. I look at him, poised to ask, but the key fob in his hand distracts me. "You brought the truck?" I ask. In the months since I've been back from the dead, driving never once crossed my mind. There were too many what ifs. Like what if my car was spotted? What if I got pulled over?

Cal shakes his head and presses a button. A sleek, black BMW flashes its headlights in greeting. My eyes bulge and my mouth hangs open. "What the-"

"Traded the truck in on it. Not too long before your dad offed me." I open my mouth to apologize for my father, but Cal held up his hand, palm facing me. "She's a beauty, isn't she?"

I nodded as he opened the passenger door for me. The smell of new leather overtakes the smell of Autumn. I slip into the car, and the seat hugs me like an old friend. Cal closes the door behind me, and I'm amazed at how dark the tint is. I've always loved the smell of new car, and this one does not disappoint.

Cal opens the driver's door and sits down. He presses the button, and the engine purrs to life. I've never been into cars, but I'm impressed. Cal catches the look on my face and says, "Only the best for Miss Dempsey," and we both fall into another fit of laughter as he reverses out of the parking space and we leave the hospital.