Chapter 5 - Part 5: Water

They weaved their way back through the passageways and halls. This time Jess paused frequently to ask questions about a view or a picture or an object that crossed their path. But now, however narrow the passageways became, Felix didn't let go of Jess's hand. She didn't let go of his.

They burst back into daylight which seemed warmer than before. They were back at the courtyard, and strolled through the arch, across the drive and into the meadow. The grass was long but the dew had burnt off and it was dry. For mid-September, it was very warm. They ambled a little further, their conversation light. Felix asked after her dad, asked about Aunt Lucy and Uncle Jim. They laughed about her boss, Alan, from the coffee shop—how grumpy he was on the outside, how soft he really was. She asked about his travels. It was easy talk, the talk of everyday life.

The stream was always in sight, but they walked by the side of it for a while along a small path of flattened grass made by infrequent visitors. But when they had followed its meandering path further towards the tree line which curved from the manor until it became a denser wood, their walk slowed. And when the hall was almost lost from sight, Felix stopped and dropped Jess's hand.

"What about that paddle?" he said and kicked off his flip-flops and began to roll up his jeans.

The stream ran smooth and clear, the bottom silty and dotted with little pebbles. Jess sat on the grassy bank to undo the straps of the sandals, and by the time she got one off, Felix was in the stream. He waded into the middle, the water coming up to his knees. He dipped his hands in the water and brought them up in a spray of diamonds. He hadn't intended to splash Jess, but a couple of droplets landed on her hair and face as she gasped. The water wasn't that cold, but it was fresh.

Felix looked shocked and stepped towards her palms up, but Jess bent over the bank and swiped a palm full of water in his direction.

"That's how it's going to be, is it?" Felix mock growled and stalked towards her bear-like.

Jess kicked her other sandals off and ran down the path laughing until she was outside of Felix's splashing distance. All of her self-consciousness had fallen away and she felt the same contentment she'd experienced the moment she'd met Felix.

"No, honestly," Jess said apologetically, "that's not how it's going to be. I just want to enjoy my paddle in peace."

Primly, she looked at him, lifted the hem of her summer dress a little and dipped her toe into the stream. Felix waded towards her and held out his hand.

"Come on, Jess. It's not as cold as you think."

Ignoring his hand, Jess jumped flat-footed into the water, sending a spray over them both. She tried to turn and jump back out again, but Felix caught her around the waist.

"You ..." He seemed lost for words, and Jess swivelled in his arms and kissed him. He held her more gently then, the childlike play instantly forgotten. Water dripped from his ear, and Jess moved her hands from his shoulder, lifted a droplet with one finger and watched it fall before she looked him fully in the eye.

"So that's how it's going to be, is it?" And she kissed him until all the months of confusion and worry and the sense that what they'd had was a fantasy had gone. She stepped back from him only when she felt they were the same as they had been before. This place was as unfamiliar as the aid camp, and it hadn't made a difference. Why should it be different here? She turned and looked at the tree line.

"Are we allowed to go into that wood?"

Felix followed her gaze. "Yes, it's ours. There's a path to the village. We can go there if you like. It only takes fifteen minutes. Fancy it?"

"Yeah," Jess said emphatically and she tugged Felix out of the water.