➣ 𝘾𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝟓 "𝘼𝙣𝙞𝙢𝙖𝙜𝙞 𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙐𝙣𝙘𝙡𝙚 𝙎𝙞𝙧𝙞𝙪𝙨"

⋆。°✩°。⋆

Second year; first term; September - December 1990

Remember how sad Nicolás was about not having close friends at Castelobruxo? Scratch that, he was most glad for it.

He knew starting a year with a class two years above his year would be complicated, but he probably underestimated how much more complicated alchemy could get.

Not only that, but something unparallel that happened in Castelobruxo and not in any other magical school in the world, was that they not only offered Apparition licenses for everyone from third year and up (unlike other schools who reserved this training for seventh years), they also offered the formation for becoming an Animagus.

Castelobruxo specialized in Herbology and Care of Magical Creatures, and there's no better way to study animals, magical and not, than being able to become one yourself and coexist with them.

For the first term of the year, Nicolás and those who would go through with the Animagus training, would have to make extensive essays, each one of at least ten pages (because, unlike Hogwarts — according to his parents —, where they write in parchment and using quills, Castelobruxo was more welcoming to the changes in times, with students using paper sheets and pens).

What does it mean to be an Animagus and what are its implications? What is required to be an Animagus? What can go wrong with the transformation into an Animagus?  These were among the endless questions that opened his essays.

Then, they would have classes on Saturday mornings, where their Animagus training instructor would talk about each of those questions, before assigning them to extend said information in their essays.

Alchemy was the most stimulating class. Each year was focused on one level of alchemy, granting students with a certificate of such.

In the first year, they received the Quicksilver Initiates. At this level, students learn the fundamentals of metal manipulation, including metallurgy, alloy creation, and shaping techniques. They may study the properties of different metals and learn how to extract and refine them from ores.

The second year was Aqua Vitae Apprentices, here, the students focus on potion-making, particularly the preparation of essential alchemical potions. They learn about potion ingredients, brewing techniques, and the magical properties of various substances. It also involved studying the symbolic and metaphysical aspects of alchemical potions.

With his unprecedented and successful project from last year, the alchemy master considered Nicolás able to continue straight to the third level: Ouroboros, while being in second year.

Here, students delve into the manipulation of durability and the cycle of life. They study topics such as transmutation, rejuvenation, and preservation. This level also involves the theoretical study of spells or rituals to extend lifespan, heal wounds, or enhance resilience.

One thing that happened entering October, came one night, while Nicolás was stargazing for his Astronomy class.

It's not uncommon for him to search for Canis Major in the night sky, one of his favorite constellations, with one of his favorite stars: Sirius. His uncle, the father of his cousin, the husband of his aunt, the friend of his parents.

But just like everything beyond earthling life, Sirius was a mysterious topic for him, one that elicited many questions, and with very little clarity.

He can remember the man, with his black hair and astonishing grey eyes. The man who would carry him and Caelum at the same time, singing some Elvis or ABBA song for them to sleep. The man who, in the middle of a war, would turn their nursery into a mini stage for his own rock concerts, rendering AC/DC, Queen, or Guns N' Roses just for the two babies, his son and his nephew.