Chapter 3: Train to Las Pegasus

Scootaloo laid in her bed, staring at the ceiling in silence. It had been a few days since visiting Sweet Apple Acres, yet she couldn't stop thinking about what Apple Bloom had said. The phrase 'grow up' is burned into her brain. It was a painful thought. Scootaloo sat up and looked out the window at the night sky. She slid out of bed, her hooves making quiet noises against the wood.

Scootaloo got her suitcase from under her bed and began packing up anything she might need with her. She disassembled her scooter and put it in the suitcase first before putting other things in there. Scootaloo would use her left wing to hold her suitcase and grab her helmet with her right. She made her way to the living room, searching the couch for any loose bits. Once finding the bits, Scootaloo galloped to the train station, the cool night air blowing against her face as her hooves thudded against the dirt paths.

Once at the train station, Scootaloo would set her things down and put the bits on the ledge in front of the ticket mare. "One ticket to Las Pegasus." Scootaloo gasped, trying to catch her breath. For a pony that exercised daily, she was not used to running for so long. She normally used her scooter to travel.

"Ma'am, we're closing for the night, you'll have to wait until tomorrow to get your ticket." The mare inside of the ticket booth spoke, sounding really agitated with Scootaloo for showing up so late. "We open at dawn, you can wait that long, can't you?"

"Oh, uh, sorry, yeah I can wait. I'm so sorry." Scootaloo stuttered, apologizing profusely as she gathered her things up and moved them over to a bench. She wasn't going to waste time going all the way back home. She decided she'd sleep at the station.

When Scootaloo heard the door to the ticket office slam, she sat up in a hurry and hurriedly walked to the window. She dropped her bits on the ledge again, putting a hoof up on the ledge. "One ticket to Las Pegasus please." She asked once more.

The mare behind the window just rubbed her eye with her hoof before setting down her coffee and sitting in the office chair. "Alright, one ticket to Las Pegasus, that will be fifteen bits." The ticket mare would pull Scootaloo's bits closer to herself and start counting.

"Ma'am, you're two bits short." The ticket mare began pushing the bits back to Scootaloo before somepony behind Scootaloo dropped two more bits on the ledge.

"Now she's not." A stallion spoke. When Scootaloo turned to look at who the nice pony was, she noticed that it was somepony she had never seen before.

"Thank you, you didn't have to do that." Scootaloo spoke nervously, taking a step back.

"It's two bits, I'm not going to miss them. Just get to where you're going little filly." The stallion would nod, giving a nice smile to Scootaloo. The ticket mare just rolled her eyes and took the bits, printing a ticket for Scootaloo, then calling for the next pony. Scootaloo went back to sit with her things.

When the train pulled up to the station, the speakers in the station let out a loud ring before the voice of the ticket mare came through announcing the arrival of the first train to Las Pegasus. Scootaloo leapt up, gathering her things and taking the ticket into the train. She found a seat, holding her suitcase really close to her body as she sat really close to a window. She was going to ride the tracks into her future. She hoped that this was the right thing to do. Scootaloo was running on a terrible night's sleep and determination that she'll finally get to work her dream job.

"Hello? Ma'am? Can you hear me ma'am?" A dark blue pony waved their yellow hoof in front of Scootaloo's face. Scootaloo blinked a few times, being pulled out of her thoughts.

"Oh! Hi! Sorry, I wasn't trying to be rude." Scootaloo spoke almost instinctively, making eye contact with the pony.

"Ah, no worries! I was just asking if the seat next to you was taken. I know there's other seats, but I don't like sitting alone." The pony laughs nervously. Scootaloo started to blush when she heard the pony laugh.

"Oh, no, it's not taken, you can sit here. My name's Scootaloo, but my friends call me Scoots. What's your name?" Scootaloo smiles, holding her hoof out for the other pony to shake.

"My name's Solar Eclipse. I'm studying magic under Princess Twilight." The pony explains, taking the empty seat next to Scootaloo. "So, why are you heading to Las Pegasus? I'm going on vacation."

"I'm going to find a job. There isn't really anything left for me to try in Ponyville. I'm hoping to be a racer!" Scootaloo smiled with confidence, puffing out her chest as Rainbow Dash would always do.

"Oh neat! What kind of racing are you going to do? I hear there's lots of types of racing, or even roller derbying. You look like somepony who'd be good at roller derby." Solar Eclipse would question Scootaloo, being super interested in what the mare had to say.

"Oh, uh, thank you, I think?" Scootaloo looked a bit confused before shaking her head. "I'm hoping to do some scooter racing. It's what I'm the best at. I'm almost faster than the fastest pony in Equestria! Rainbow Dash!" Scootaloo striked a pose, flexing her arms jokingly.

"I bet you'll win lots of races. Do you mind if I come with you? Twilight did say I need to make more friends." Solar Eclipse asked, using their magic to adjust their glasses on their face.

"Of course I don't mind! It'd be a lot more fun to have a friend than being by myself! I could even take you to do some gambling! Rainbow Dash showed me all of the best places to gamble, and even taught me how to win at black jack." Scootaloo mutters jokingly, nudging Solar Eclipse, who laughed in response.

"Alright, let's do it, Scoots." Solar Eclipse smiled, giving Scootaloo a nice little hoof bump.