Chapter 21- A Lack of Female Entity

Start from the beginning

I turn and we both walk out of the court, side by side as the cameras flash non-stop.

~ ~ ~

"Here you go." I hand Fury a box of matches, standing beside him as he lights a shipping container on fire.

All of his identity is inside; he's dead to the unknowing world.

"Feel good?" I ask.

"Oh yeah." He nods, chucking the box into the flames as well, before we both turn and walk to our cars.

"So, did you find them?" I ask, and he nods.

"Maria called in one last favour from the FBI." He explains, opening his trunk.

He pulls out a large silver metal briefcase, handing it to me.

"Well, that's that then." I say, "Will I see you at the cemetery on Tuesday? I assume you'll want to see Steve."

"He's getting out on Tuesday?" He asks and I nod, "I'd like to talk to him one last time."

"Okay, then." I say, "Time to go."

"Zoey." His words stop me from moving, and I look up at the man who was the closest thing I had to a real father who cared about me.

"Yes?" I ask politely.

"What Pierce said." He struggles to find the words, "You've always been like a daughter to me. Tom and Lillian were family."

He pauses, before sighing and looking down at me.

"I'm sorry for what he took from you." He says earnestly.

"Thank you." I smile sadly, "It might be a problem in the future, but right now, I've got everything I need."

"That's good." He says, walking towards his car. "I'll see you on Tuesday."

"We'll be at the cemetery at two." I call, and he raises his hand in acknowledgement, getting into his vehicle.

I get into my own, and wait for him to drive off before going in the opposite direction.

I look at the briefcase on the passenger seat, smiling slightly to myself.

~ ~ ~

I make it back to the hospital just after the sun goes down, leaning against my car as I stand in the parking lot.

"And you can take it off my hands today?" I ask, "I don't need the apartment anymore."

"Of course." The person on the other line says, "No questions asked."

"You can keep all my stuff, as well." I said, "I had a friend take everything of importance out yesterday."

"I thought I saw a fancy car in the street." Their words make me chuckle, thinking of Tony.

"Yes." I nod, "You can keep or sell the rest, I'm not fussed."

"Not a problem." The warm Latino accent makes me smile, "I'll have the apartment sold by tomorrow. You're free from rent."

"Thank you." I say honestly, "I did send over this month's rent, though, even though it's only halfway through. I really appreciate all this."

"No worries, dear." The person says, before I hang up the phone.

I stow it in my pocket, taking the briefcase out of the car, locking the vehicle and making my way into the hospital building.

I make my way up the stairs and into Steve's room, where Steve himself is talking quietly with Sam.