Hidden Springs

Rose was the third-generation caretaker of the hundred-year-old Hidden Springs Cafe, and she operated the little diner with the sense of the history that it played in the long story of the Angeles Crest. They were just a breakfast and lunch diner with a circular counter and a couple picnic tables outside if you were inclined to sit out in the sun or under the little-covered porch off to the side. It was originally built 1876 to feed the workers who were building a fire road through the crest and was then owned by the State of California. Back then the road was built by prison inmates with no public access allowed.

Down below, on the other side of the road was Hidden Springs campground which was used in those days to house the workers and the officers who watched them. Now the campgrounds are used as rentals for campers who wish to stay for a day or two in the rustic cabins that were built before the war. After construction was completed there was no use for the little cafe and the Angeles Forest Division of Highways auctioned it off to the highest bidder.

Rose's grandfather was that bidder in 1941 for the grand total of $133.52. He thought it would be a nice little place to stay for his family as a camping spot. There was unlimited hunting, fishing and hiking back then and he would bring folks up (for a marginal fee) to partake of these natural wonders and as part of the package his wife, Rose's grandmother would whip up some supper for the hungry sportsmen.

Mr. Fenwick, Rose's grandfather, had found out that they were going to pave the road and open it to the public so he rushed to the City of Los Angeles house of records to get permits to open a restaurant on the spot. That was the point at which the little building was grandfathered in and could not be closed as long as the same family operated the business. This made all involved very happy, especially when the road construction began in earnest. But this happiness would not last long because the war intervened and road construction was halted until the early fifties.

The road was finally paved and open to the public in 1956, but by then Mr. Fenwick was retired and passed the property to his eldest daughter Mildred Louise who was married to Dennis Calvert, a large landowner and real estate broker in the Sunland/Tujunga area. They had a daughter named Rose Lee who has run the little diner till this day and was whipping up a little supper for her good friend Jimmy as her Mother and her mother before her had done for near a century.

She had known Jimmy all her life. Since she was a child he was the albino man who came in the evenings to have dinner at the cafe after they were closed. There was a room upstairs where different friends and family had stayed over the years. It was alway good to have someone staying there as anyone could show up after closing and break in, after all, they were in the middle of nowhere. Generally, those that stayed usually worked at the cafe in exchange for room and board and Rose had always thought it only fair they give them some pocket money so they weren't trapped and allowed them to use the old pick up so they could get down off the hill once in a while.

Jimmy had stayed there from time to time when there was nobody else and it sort of made him family. She loved to hear Jimmy talk to her Mom or Dad or the people that stayed upstairs. He always had something interesting to say, some sage advice for the boarders who were not always in the best place in their lives. There was something magical in those pink eyes and flowing beard. He was like a wizard to her back then and it seemed that everyone was happy to see him.

Now, all these years later, Jimmy has become one of the constants in Rose's life. A piece of solid ground beneath her feet that could always be counted on to hold her weight. It wasn't just their connection to the cafe, it was also like they were a breed apart from the towns people. They were canyon folk, even though Rose went home to her place in Tujunga she was still canyon folk and was probably the only family that had been there as long or longer than Jimmy's.

Rose now had a couple kids of her own and her daughter was now old enough to start helping out at the cafe. Iris was twelve now and was coming up for the week ends and just like Rose, she too was a little in awe of Jimmy. He came in and sat down in the middle of the rounded counter and Iris was right quick to pour him a cup of coffee,

"Good evening Mr. Jimmy, will you be having your regular Sir?"

"Yes I will princess, thanks for the coffee"

"Oh you're welcomed Mr. Jimmy, you're always welcomed,"

"Well thank you, Dove, you know you are one of the sweetest little girls in the world, how's your mama doing this fine evening?"

"Oh she's fine, she'll be out in a minute,"

"Alrighty, it's about 9:00 and I'm expecting a call, I'll be right back, OK?"

"We'll be here waiting Sir,"

Jimmy stepped outside just in time to hear the pay phone ringing. He lit a home rolled cigarette and opened the glass door, closing it behind him before lifting the receiver.

"Hello," He answered

"Hi Jimmy, it's Danny,"

"Hi there Danny boy, I had a feeling you'd be calling tonight. What can I do you for son?"

There was a moment of silence, as if Danny was questioning if he should even be talking to Jimmy about this, this thing.

"Spit it out brother, I ain't got all night, my dinner's a wait'n,"

"Well," He paused

"Oh, this isn't about regular business is it?"

"Not really, I have this kid, he's a good kid, I mean A real good kid, I'll vouch for him,"

"Come on Dan, not again. You're not going to do this to me again are ya?"

"He really is a good kid and you're the only one that can do what he needs to be done,"

"Does this have something to do with that wreck in the canyon where all those people died?"

Another pause on the line,

"It does don't it, I fuck'n knew it, Danny, God damn it! Why is it always you who comes up with these people; can you tell me that?"

"I would have to say that's more up your alley my friend. You're the all knowing devil king of the canyon, not me"

"Don't get smart with me brother, I'll tell ya to go fuck yourself,"

"I don't think so, it's not in your nature,"

Now the silence was coming from Jimmy's end. He was gathering his courage for what he already knew was to come. He was hoping it wouldn't be so bad this time. He didn't really feel like he had a choice, of course, there was always the part of him who enjoyed being the guy, the source, the master.

"OK, I'm going to go have my meat loaf and my mac and cheese. I'll be back here tomorrow night, same bat time same bat channel. You make the arrangements to have him at the sight of the crash the night after at 7:00 o'clock. If he can't make it you call me, if you're going to be there don't call and I'll see you there Wednesday night at 7:00. You be there to make introductions; got it?"

"I got it, we'll be there come hell or high water,"

"You don't know how close to the truth you might be my friend."