MOM

Mom began to cry for no reason I could imagine.

"You kids don't know what you're getting into, you have no idea."

"We love each other mom, ain't that enough? Why are you always so down on me anyway." I raised my voice more than I meant to. "I'm not going to let you talk to Michelle that way."

With that I took Michelle by the arm and said.

"C'mon, were getting out of here, I knew this was a bad idea!" 

She resisted and said, "Wait a minute, this is no way to leave this; what's the matter Mrs. Graves, why are you so upset?"

Mom had her head in her hands, staring into her cup of coffee, shaking her head. she said quietly, "There's so much you need to know, so much. You just don't understand, it's so easy to make a mistake and then you're stuck."

I was shocked, I had no idea she felt that way about her marriage. I always thought they were pretty happy, not perfect but they seemed to be alright. 

"What mistake are you talking about Mom, you and Dad? You hardly ever fight, you seem  to get along pretty good."

"He's right Michelle, you should go. This is neither the time nor the place, I'm sorry, I need to keep my nose out of your business." She got up and picked up her purse.

"Take your girlfriend to the dinner and a movie," She gave us ten bucks

I said, "Thanks Mom," I gave her a hug and gave Michelle a look that said, SSSSSSHHHH, she nodded her head in recognition.

We got up, Michelle gave Mom a hug and said, "I'm sorry if we up set you."

Mom said, "You two just have a good time and don't worry about me, I'm just fine. I'm a worrier is all, pay me no attention, I'm just being silly." She giggled insincerely and turned Michelle around and put her hand in mine. "Have a good time you two, have fun while you still can."

We said our good by's and out the door we went. 

I was a little freaked out myself and Michelle didn't understand what was going on.  She looked at me in the car like, what the hell was that about.

"don't look at me, I don't know what the hell that was about." Raising my hands and eyebrows.

"Seems like your Momma is kind of a mess dude."

"Duh..."

"Well you weren't very nice to her young man."

"What was I supposed to do; I couldn't let her continue talking like that to you. She can talk her nasty stuff to me but not you. She don't even fucking know you and nobody gets to talk to you like that while I'm around, nobody baby, not her not nobody!"  

She was holding my hand tightly while I carried on with my tirade and then she just reached around and hugged me tightly.

"Nobody has ever stood up for me like that." She kissed my cheek and nuzzled in my neck and I could fell her tears running down my neck, "You really do love me huh?"

"You know I do, I'm going to marry you one day baby doll, your my one and only forever and ever." I hugged her back even tighter.

"Maybe we could skip your parents for today huh? I'm not really in the mood."

"Me either, lets just go somewhere." She said in a brightened tone.

"good idea, lets goooooo!"

She kissed me on the lips and turned to start the bug and off she drove to where, I didn't know.. But Dale was making his presents known in my lap...again