46: That Damn Raccoon

"I can't do this anymore, Jiseol!"

A good telltale sign that a relationship would last was when it was the couple VS the problem or the couple against the world.

Or in Jiseol and Donghyuck's case right now, it was them against the tiny cockroach in the corner of the latter's room.
More specifically, it was Jiseol against the cockroach whilst Donghyuck had jumped onto his bed for safety.

"God dammit, Donghyuck, would you shut up? I can't catch it with you screaming like that."

"—kill it, kill it, kill it! End my misery and kill it already, please, I can't do this anymore—"

Instead of euthanizing the poor cockroach that probably had a wife and three kids waiting for him at home, Jiseol skillfully caught it with a paper towel. Cupping the towel in her hand, she trudged towards the front door and let the cockroach escape down the hallway to be somebody else's problem. By the time Donghyuck peeked his head out of his room to make sure the coast was clear, Jiseol had already washed her hands and dried them.

"It's gone, doofus, you can come out now," she assured him.

Donghyuck sighed in relief. He could now confidently step into the living room now that he knew there shouldn't be any more of his lifelong nemeses lingering around. He tossed his body onto the couch, slightly sore from having slept in a thin sleeping bag the past couple of nights. He lifted himself momentarily to make space for Jiseol to sit then laid his head down on her lap. They were able to be intimate now that Jisung had gone back to his place after avoiding Donghyuck at all costs.

"How come you're not surprised to see the bruise on my eye?"

"Because you sent me a video of the raccoon that I specifically told you not to bother."

"Why is everyone on the raccoon's side?" he mumbled in dissatisfaction. "Fine. Anyway. Should we talk?"

"I guess," Jiseol shrugged. "You go first."

"What happened when I was gone? And you can't lie to me because I know something was wrong."

Jiseol pursed her lips before she inhaled, then exhaled as deeply as she could. It was a part of her self-improvement journey to be more honest with herself and the people around her; now that she had a romantic partner, she felt lucky that he was also one that she could trust for her to practice these new healthier habits. She told him about the evening that Chaeryeong came knocking on their door, including the things she said, and elaborated on how she felt after it. She noted that her biggest insecurity was now that she wouldn't compare to Chaeryeong and would have to win over his mother.

Upon hearing the timidity in her voice, Donghyuck instantly sat up and faced her as he reached for her hand.

"Oh, Seol, you won over my mom without even trying," Donghyuck said softly. "I told my parents about our little housing arrangement and I added that you stayed by my side the entire time when my dad was still comatose. I didn't want to tell you this because I was afraid it'd be too much on you but...my parents actually want to meet you. They don't even know we're dating yet, they're just grateful to you."