01: Desperate Times Call for Desperate Measures

"Please tell me this is the last one

"Please tell me this is the last one." Jisung whined as he carried a large box into his room. Sighing of relief when his older sister nodded, he placed the final box with the other many boxes that belonged to Jiseol. His already small room looked even tinier with the sudden addition of her things.

While he had been coerced into physical labor, Jiseol already made herself comfortable on his bed that seemed to be a foot too small for him. She was scrolling through her phone in pure nonchalance and she looked so okay that it genuinely worried Jisung. He stared at her with pursed lips, trying to read her expression but then again, as the eldest daughter of an Asian household, Jiseol had always been fantastic at masking her feelings.

"How long are you planning to stay here again?" Jisung asked.

Jiseol tore her eyes away from her phone to glare at her brother. "Are you trying to kick me out?"

"What? No! I just, I mean, I don't really want you to stay here for a long time because of my roommates," Jisung awkwardly scratched the back of his neck. "They're...kind of gross. I don't want you to be uncomfortable."

"I don't really have a choice, puppy," Jisung winced at the usage of his family nickname—he sure hoped none of his roommates were around to hear that. He'd never hear the end of it.

"It's going to be hard to find a place that's close to campus and within my budget so soon. You don't have to worry about me, I'll be fine. At least you're the only person who isn't sharing a room in this apartment."

Jisung agreed with the last part. After Jiseol had urgently called him to find a place to stay, the fact that he had his own room in the five-person apartment was the sole reason he dared allow his sister come stay with him. He wasn't exactly overprotective, seeing as how she was more likely to win a fistfight than him, but he didn't want his roommates anywhere closer to her than they already would be. There was also the fact that she'd have to share a bathroom with them, which was honestly Jisung's biggest nightmare. Every second of having his sister in the house with immature boys he barely trusted made him jittery and anxious.

There was an available apartment near campus that Jiseol coaxed her brother into moving in with her, but Jisung apparently got tricked into paying his sketchy landlord for 6 months in advance so they'd have to wait until the end of the semester to move into a new place together. Besides, Jiseol couldn't afford renting a whole place by herself; she would ask for an extra cash boost from her parents but to do that, she'd have to tell them what happened for her to leave her old apartment and she really didn't want to have to tell them.

Jiseol's solution to survive the remaining three months of the semester was to find someone looking for roommates. At this point she couldn't care less for who it was, as long as the place was close to her university and her roommate wasn't a criminal. Or hot. Having a criminal roommate was equally as bad as having a hot roommate.