13: Jiseol Has a Soft Spot

Once her eyes began to sting from staring at the computer screen, Jiseol uncapped her bottle of iced tea and took a sip while glancing around the office

Once her eyes began to sting from staring at the computer screen, Jiseol uncapped her bottle of iced tea and took a sip while glancing around the office. It was her first day back and she didn't know whether to be surprised that it was as if nothing had happened. She understood why though since the other editors believed the case was solved and it didn't affect any of them personally, so they didn't have a reason to dwell on it any longer.

Her gaze then shifted to the empty seat right in front of her. It wasn't fair. As much as his mere existence used to bother her, Donghyuck should be here too, not banished like he was proven to commit treason.

A hand that touched her shoulder gently snapped her out of her thoughts and she turned to see that Mark had dragged his chair closer to hers, close enough to have a personal conversation. Jiseol lowered her headphones around her neck and gave Mark a small smile.

"You sure you're good? You can still take time off if you want to, you know," Mark said, clearly worried.

"I'm fine, Mark, you don't have to keep babying me," Jiseol assured him.

Mark hesitated, but nodded anyway. "If you need any help with anything, like emotional support or whatever, I'm totally here for you."

"Roger that. I appreciate it." Jiseol patted his hand.

"By the way, I've been meaning to talk to you," Mark leaned in closer to her and lowered his volume. "I heard that you're on Donghyuck's side now. Thank God, because I've gotten really sick of being the only person who believes him in here."

Jiseol pursed her lips. "The rest still think he did it?"

"They only believe the evidence. It's frustrating! I mean, Donghyuck once risked everything to pull off the sexual predators exposè last year and I'm certain that none of them could do the same, but they still wouldn't believe that someone's framing him," Mark sighed. "Trust me. I tried talking to them, but they're super against him and I don't think their opinions would be changing soon."

"Maybe it's better that way. If there's less people trying to find out who really did it, the process would be a lot less messy."

"But you can count me in. I'll do anything to help. Also, just out of curiosity, are you and Donghyuck like, an item? Because you've been matching hair—"

"Jiseol! You're back!" Mina squealed when she barged into the office, immediately running to hug the girl she hadn't seen in a while.

"Hi, Mina." Jiseol curved into Mina's embrace. While she caught up with Mina, she subtly gave a blushing Mark an apologetic look for having their conversation interrupted. Deep down, she was relieved that Mark wanted to help them crack the case too; Mark was smart and empathetic, having another brain and heart helping them out was going to do them a lot good, especially when they were still at a dead end.