08: A Birthday and a Funeral

It was Donghyuck's birthday

This much, Jiseol knew. Even if she didn't want to and even if it wasn't for her brother reminding her by sending her twenty-two potential birthday gift ideas for the captain he wouldn't admit he adored so much, she would naturally remember each time his birthday came around. She cursed the date for being so easy to stick in one's mind, especially with how it perfectly suited Donghyuck.

Sixth of June. 6/6. One digit away from being the number of the beast.

In their time of knowing each other that was much longer than Jiseol would like, she'd never gone out of her way to wish him a happy birthday, not that he had ever done the same. They had never exchanged greetings like this even during the mini birthday parties that Astral would throw for each editor. But now that they were roommates and even spent time together without breaking out into a fight a few days ago, Jiseol considered that maybe there was no harm in wishing her most loathed person a happy birthday. It wouldn't mean that she disliked him any less, but who knew if it could make him more tolerable.

Except Jiseol was Jiseol and Park Jiseol had problems with expressing her emotions verbally, unless that person was a lover, especially if that person had been a parasite leeching off her torture for the past few years. So rather than saying a simple "Happy birthday!" with a humane smile, Jiseol could only blurt out "Good job on being alive for the past twenty-two years," with what she thought was a smile but actually came off as a painful grimace.

Donghyuck gaped at her in surprise—more at how she actually bothered speaking to him than the fact that she remembered—before his loud laughter filled every inch of the living room.

"Wow, is this how Park Jiseol wishes people on their birthday? I'm so honoured," he dramatically held a hand to his chest and faked a sniffle. "Maybe try not looking like you're severely constipated next time though."

Jiseol rolled her eyes. She had officially reached her full quota of daily conversations with Donghyuck. She walked past him while he was still putting on his shoes and was halfway out the door when he called out after her.

"We're both heading to the same place, why don't you just a hitch a ride with me? Birthday boy's treat," Donghyuck grinned. Jiseol didn't know whether to be amazed or concerned that he was this normal after sobbing his eyes out to her while eating chicken only a few nights ago.

"Bro, really, I honestly enjoy every single second that I have without you in it. No thanks," Jiseol mumbled.

"Come on, sweetheart! Maybe this five-minute ride is all we need for you to realize how awesome I am and maybe I'll realize how you're not that bad to be around."

Unsurprisingly, Jiseol chose to take the bus after Donghyuck's backhanded compliment. Donghyuck leaned against his car as he watched Jiseol's crankiness prevailing in each step she took towards the bus stop, smiling in amusement to himself. Once he saw that she'd gotten on the bus, he climbed into his driver's seat and checked his phone, admiring the number of well-hearted wishes that bombarded his notifications nonstop. When he saw the text from a certain number, however, his smile disappeared.