B E T R A Y A L

O L I V I A

I felt my heart beat increase as I listened to the words my father so easily spoke. He spoke as if nothing mattered.
Tears rush to my eyes as I try to blink them away, yet my father seems completely unbothered.

"Olivia!" He yells, silencing the hundreds of thoughts running through my mind.
"I can't, father." I argue.
"You will do as I tell you to." He shouts, becoming angrier.

I stay silent for a second, weighing out my options: argue with him and get absolutely no where, or nod my head at whatever bullshit he comes up with and leave the room in one piece.
"Whatever." I don't give him the chance to continue before I spin on my heels and rush out of the room.

I lean on my bathroom sink, now more angry than sad. He can't make me do this. He can't just ship me off to go and work with him again and expect me to be okay with it, just thinking of him makes me feel sick.

Just under year ago, I was kidnapped by the enemy Mafia. It started out as a normal mission, but when things went to shit, Landon stood and watched as I was shot and dragged away.
He hadn't pulled the trigger himself, yet it felt as if he had.

I stand in my bathroom, drowning in the thoughts of my own mind.
And I must lose track of time as I hear my mother call me down for dinner.

_____

"You're being pathetic! The Reapers shot you, not him. The Reapers tortured you, not him. You are not the only person they hurt, Olivia." My father spits at me, hatred lacing his tone.
"He may aswell of hurt me, he let me be taken off, he left me to suffer. I could've died. He was in on it. All of it." I argue, raising my voice.

My mother shoots me a pleading look, as if to tell me to stop. She knows what my father is capable of, and anyone could see the anger filling his eyes.

My father abruptly stands up, stabbing his knife into the wooden dining table.
"You will go back, Olivia. You will cause no drama. You will do as I tell you to." He shouts at me, with a now clenched fist.

As he stands, my heart starts to thump against my rib cage, "Or I will kill you myself." He hisses at me.
Ignoring the lump in my throat, I turn to my two older brothers.

Zak, my oldest brother, looks furious, like he could burst seeing my father acting the way he is. I shake my head at him, telling him to leave it; I don't want him getting in trouble.

Even if he did say something, he'd be wasting his breath. Once my father makes up his mind, there's no turning back.

My other brother, Blake, just looks upset.
A lot more went down that day than my Father admits.
He calls me pathetic, yet he can't stop lying to himself. Everything he has built is sealed with lies.

The room falls silent, so I just walk away.
I know there's nothing I can do to prevent it, so I'm just going to have to make it as easy as possible for myself.

Despite the fact I haven't been around for a while, I still hear everything. Including that Landon's not changed. He's moved up in the mafia, has a lot more to carry on his shoulders, but remains the heartless prick he's known to be.

Everyone seems to think that he's just like the others, like my father.
He doesn't love and he doesn't sacrifice.

I didn't know him that way.
I'd seen that side of him, but not towards me.
Not until that day.

A U T H O R S
N O T E

Very very short chapter, sorry.

* these first chapters are badly written 😭
I started writing this last summer and only publishing it now so I'm sorry 😭
It gets better tho.