Chapter 27- An Unbreakable Vow

Start from the beginning

I closed my eyes and took one step backwards.

Why do I fall for people who are never meant to be with me? I thought what I had with Theo was real. I thought his was the love that was going to resurrect my heart. I thought he was going to be my new eternity.

And like always... it turns out I was wrong.

I turned around and channeled my power. I wanted to get as far away from here as possible.

But where would I go? I'm not going back to Olympus. I refuse to stay here in the Underworld. I've bothered Hades and Aerith enough. And the mortal realm? There's no place there that would remind me of my life with Zeus or his many infidelities.

I summoned my power and left it to fate where I would end up. With my eyes closed tightly and tears still falling down my cheeks, I left Theo's afterlife. Theo and Pauline were in their own little world. They didn't even notice me leave.

When I opened my eyes again, I was back in Olympus. I gasped in awe. I had forgotten how beautiful and majestic Olympus is. Going back here felt like I was adrift at sea for a long time and then finally stepped foot on an island.

Olympus is my home.

Or was it?

I lifted my head and looked at the gleaming marble palace in the distance. The sun was about to set and the last of its rays touched the diamond on the highest tower of Olympus and it scattered the light in a thousand fragments.

I sighed.

This palace used to be so majestic. A home fit for the King and Queen of the gods. Every day it bustled with activity: planning wars, holding council, celebrations, tournaments and so much more!

Now... The beautiful palace stood cold and silent; beautiful but empty- just like me.

"Hera, wait!" a voice called out from a distance

I turned around and prepared to leave. Going here was a big mistake.

"Hera!" he repeated. Then I heard the boom of thunder and suddenly Zeus was standing before me. He placed his hand on my arm to stop me from leaving. I jerked my entire arm away as if he just zapped me with one of his strongest bolts.

His face fell and his shoulders sagged. Before, the defeat in his stance would have broken me and I'd come running back. I felt the same squeeze in my heart and the feeling of my breath being knocked out of my lungs at seeing him like this. I guess the difference now was that I was much stronger.

"What do you want, Zeus?" I asked.

Zeus flinched at the ice in my tone. Then, he ran his fingers through his hair.

"I just want to talk to you Hera..."

I scoffed. "I don't. And we have nothing more to talk about, Zeus."

I heard his sharp intake of breath. "We have a lot to talk about."

"I think you've said everything. You even tricked me again into believing everything you said. I blame my memory loss for being a fool for the millionth time."

Zeus sighed. It was long and drawn out. Then, he folded his tall frame and sat on the grass. He leaned his back against a nearby tree. He placed both hands behind his head and gazed upwards at the sky.

The sky was a mixture of violet, yellow and dark blue hues now as the sun was setting. But from a distance there was still that sky blue color that mirrored the most beautiful pair of eyes I've ever seen.