Mahalakshmi : A Devotees Call

Rishi Katayan was of the lineage of Rishi Vishwamitra. He was a great saint who was a scholar of grammar. He had been doing great penance to please Goddess Mahamaya as he wanted her as his daughter. He knew that if he had to achieve supreme knowledge then he had to please the 'Mahavidyaswarupini' herself. After a long time, the Goddess was finally pleased. She appeared before him as the four - armed Goddess of Illusion.

"Rishi Katayan, open your eyes. I'm pleased. What do you ask for?"

Her honey - like voice woke up Rishi Katayan and he was fascinated on seeing Goddess Jagadambika in front of him. Tears formed in his eyes and he fell at her feet.

"Mata, how fortunate I am that I've got to have your vision. If you are truly pleased, then please oh Mother of the Universe, take birth as my daughter. I want to give all my love to you as your father. Is it possible, Mata?"

Devi smiled.

"Of course, Maharishi. The power of your tap has brought me here and I bless that I will become your daughter. There is an important reason behind this which you will understand with time."

"Thank you, Mata. Thank you so much. Jay Maa Shakti!"

The Rishi cried out as the Goddess disappeared. She went back to Kailash as Parvati and let it sink in the boon she had just given. Being born as the daughter of Katayan meant she had to leave her family and she won't be back with them for a long time. This thought alone trembled her heart so she first went to meet Shiva but when she reached his meditation spot, he wasn't there. She was surprised to not find him there. She saw Nandi nearby.

"Nandi" She called out, "Where is Mahadev? Have you seen him?"

Nandi scratched his and thought for a while, "Mata, I think he went towards Manasarovar."

Parvati nodded and went to Manasarovar. There she saw that Shiva was sitting and feeding the swan couple that represented them.

"What are you doing here?" She asked.

Shiva spoke without looking back, "Well they will be my partners when you will be gone. This Swan will be the only thing left of you."

Parvati sighed.

"Of course you know. I'm sorry that I have to leave but I had no other choice."

Now Shiva turned around and it was clear that he had been crying. He went near her and took her hands in his.

"Why are you apologising, Uma? You have done your duty. Sometimes fulfilling our duties means for us to make great sacrifices. It's like you had said earlier. Our union leads to creation, but for this very creation, we have to separate. This is one of those times. "

Parvati gently touched his face as a tear drop rolled down his cheek.

"I may be going but you have to stay strong. I'm leaving our home, Our children to you. Please take care of them."

Shiva nodded and embraced her and his ran his fingers through her hair.

"Of course. I'm here. Don't worry."

"I've to go now."

Parvati said and turned back to leave when she saw Kartikeya and Ganesh standing in front of her. That is when it struck her that it wasn't just them anymore. Her decisions affected her children as she looked at their tear - filled eyes.

"You are leaving, Maa? You'll leave us?" Ganesh said. His innocent childlike question stabbed Parvati in the heart. She did not want to leave her children but she had no choice.

"My dear boys, I'm not going anywhere. Even if I leave, I will always be with you two. How can a mother leave her children? I will be back in no time. And your father will be here with you. Wait for me. I'll come back soon."

Parvati said as her two sons ran into her embrace. She caressed and kissed their foreheads. She didn't know how long she would have to stay away from them.

"Kartikey, look after your younger brother, okay? He is very naughty."

"Sure Maa"

Parvati smiled and slowly started to back away and then disappeared.

"Maa!!" both Ganesh and Kartikeya shouted in agony. They had never been away from their mother before. Shiva sighed. It was painful for him to see her leave everytime but this time, he had their children to look after who had ran to their father, seeking for comfort.