Mahakali : The Beginning Of Creation

At the beginning of the universe, there was nothing. It was completely dark. There was only the sound of 'Om'. It was the Parambrahma. That was the moment when the greatest of the powers appeared. The Parambrahma split itself into three male forms and one female form.

There was only one male who was physically present but he too was sleeping on a large coiled snake in the milky way. The man had a tinge of bluish skin and a slender body. He wore yellow garments. He wore golden jewellery and his mukut had a peacock feather. He was in deep 'needrayan' or endless sleeping state so he came to be known as 'Narayan'. Suddenly, from his navel, emerged a long stock of lotus flower and it bloomed to reveal an old aged man. He had white hair and wore white garments. He slowly opened his eyes and looked around to see nothingness. Then he looked down and saw the Lotus flower reaching to a sleeping Narayan.

Brahma : Who are you?

His loud voice brought him out of his sleep and he opened his eyes.

Vishnu : I am Vishnu. I came into this void and you are born from me.

Brahma laughed loudly at that.

Brahma : You? Created me? You must be joking, Vishnu. Don't you see? I am older than you. I must be the one who created you.

Vishnu : Don't be delusional. You can clearly see that you emerged from me.

Brahma snickered.

Brahma : Well you want to find out who is more powerful? Let's have a duel. The more powerful has surely created the other one.

Vishnu : I don't think that is needed. We can settle this.

Brahma : Why? Are you scared now?

Now Vishnu got up from his seat.

Vishnu : I'm not scared. I just didn't want any chaos but you leave me with no choice.

A furious fight started between the two. Vishnu fought with his mace whereas Brahma used his most powerful weapon known as 'Brahmastra'. The fight went on for a long time but there was no end to it. Nobody was wining. Nobody was loosing but they weren't ready to accept that both of them were equally powerful. What they were unaware of was that there was a female energy present there who was silently smirking at them.

Suddenly one day, while the two Gods were fighting, a huge pillar of fire appeared before them and seperated the two.

Brahma : What is this? Who are you?

A masculine voice came from the firey pillar.

Pillar : That doesn't matter. You want to know who is greater right? Then stop fighting and listen to me. If any of you can find either the end or the beginning of this pillar, then he will be considered more powerful.

This seemed like a good idea to the two.

Brahma : I will go up and find it's end.

Brahma chimed in. Vishnu nodded.

Vishnu : Fine, then I'll go find it's beginning.

As planned, Brahma took the form of a goose and went upwards whereas Vishnu took the form of a boar and went down. He travelled and travelled but could not find it's beginning. Years went by but he was unsuccessful. Vishnu realised that this pillar actually had no beginning. It was self made. Realising this, he came up. Brahma, on the other hand, was struggling as well. He couldn't find it's end but his ego didn't let him accept the fact. He too understood that the pillar had no end but he couldn't accept defeat in front of Vishnu. Suddenly he noticed one single flower falling downwards.

Brahma : Who are you?

Ketaki : I am Ketaki, my lord. I am the first flower to exist and I know that you are searching for the end of this pillar but to be honest, there is none.

Brahma growled.

Brahma : That I also understood but I cannot loose to Vishnu. Can you do me a favor, Ketaki? When I go down, just say that you have seen me finding it's end. If you do so, then I'd grant you more powers when I create the universe.

Hearing this, Ketaki agreed so Brahma took her with him. When he reached, he saw Vishnu already there. As the two came together, the pillar said.

Pillar : Couldn't find the end or beginning, could you?

Vishnu : You are right. I couldn't. I accept that you have no end or beginning. I have understood what you were trying to say.

Brahma : Then it must be your failure, Vishnu.

Brahma cut in. Vishnu turned to look at him.

Brahma : I have found the end of this pillar and as proof, I have brought this Ketaki flower who was at the top.

Ketaki : Yes. Yes he is right. He did find the end.

Brahma : See Vishnu? You failed.

He started laughing but before he could finish, the pillar roared.

Pillar : LIAR!

The pillar started to shake and it broke from middle. From inside, emerged a rough, masculine man. He was very fair and wore only a tiger skin. He had rudraksh beads around his neck and arms which enhanced his muscular biceps. His hair was tied in a jata and his deadlocks were let down loose. He had another eye on his forehead which was half closed and he held a weapon with three spikes in his right hand.

Shiva : I am Shiva. I had emerged as the same time as you two. I had appeared like this to make you understand that all of us equal. No one is greater. No one is inferior. We are here to create, sustain and destroy the universe respectively, together. But Brahma, in your pride, you decided to lie. There is no end or beginning to me. I am Swayambhu. Vishnu, on the other hand is intelligent. Wise. He realised the truth and was honest about it but did you not only lie but also dragged Ketaki into it. So I curse you, that you will never be worshipped individually in this creation. And Ketaki, you will never be offered to me during my worship.

Seeing his anger, Brahma apologised.

Brahma : I am so sorry. I've realised my mistake. Please forgive me.

Vishnu too tried to calm him down. Finally, Shiva did calm down. Shiva and Vishnu became very fond of each other and would eventually form a very close and strong friendship.

Shiva : Now let us progress with the creation for which we are here. Together.

But even the three of them could feel the presence of another power who was watching over them.