13. The Thames Spectre: Chapter Six

Start from the beginning

"Is it over?" Polly asked Henry as he stepped out of the carriage. She, the Allan's, Cane and Betts were already out of the sewer passage and were standing, awake and healthy near the road.

"I believe so," Henry said assuringly. "What happened here?"

"The men awoke suddenly, not three hours ago. Just as if they were sleeping. We gave them water and within the first hour they were light headed but perfectly capable of walking so we left that dark hole and came to the road," explained Polly.

"We found them and now they're ok," Elizabeth said excitedly.

"Good," Henry replied. "Are you feeling ok, Mr Allan?"

Richard stared at him for a moment, trying to figure out who he was, "I am fine, sir. These women saved me. My wife saved me." He kissed his wife on her forehead.

"How about you, Sergeant?" Henry asked turning his attention to the two officers.

It was Betts who spoke first, "Whatever that thing was, it better be gone," he said braver than what he was.

Cane stepped up to Henry, "I feel ok, Doctor. Would you mind correcting me, I believe I was abducted by a ghost, as balderdash as that sounds."

"It is true, Sergeant. A class four entity, we're glad to have you back with us."

"Blimey! What is the world coming to?" The sergeant held a hand to his head.

Henry smiled, "That is why Polly and myself do what we do. The world is coming to something and it is our position to find out what it is and stop it if it's bad."

"I see. Send your details down to the station, you'll be handy to keep close by if we have any stranger cases come through," replied Cane with an approving nod.

"We will do just that, Sergeant," Henry agreed.

"Sarge, maybe we should get back and report our findings," said Betts. "I would very much like to know why our changeovers didn't arrive."

"Agreed, good afternoon everyone," Cane said before turning and leaving with his younger colleague.

"We should go home and get some much needed rest," Polly said to Henry.

"That I do not object to," Henry replied in agreement.

"I don't know how to thank you," Elizabeth spoke up.

"There is no need, Mrs Allan. It is all part of the service you've hired," smile Henry.

Polly offered a better response, "Perhaps you can thank us by recommending us to your peers, anyone you find in need of a spiritual cleanser."

"Of course," Mr and Mrs Allan said at once before Richard Allan added, "You'll be getting my full recommendation if and when the need arises. Elizabeth nodded eagerly in agreement.

"Good day to you both," Henry responded. "Have a pleasant long marriage, and always keep the geist therapists in mind."

"It has been wonderful working with you," Polly said to Elizabeth and they embraced in a light hug.