[15] We stay at the Lotus Casino

Start from the beginning

The first thing that hit me was the smell, an overwhelming odor like the world's biggest pan of kitty litter. The trailer was dark inside, with only a faint glow emanating from my bangle, casting a dim bronze light over a disheartening scene.

Inside the trailer, three of the saddest zoo animals I'd ever seen were locked in filthy metal cages. A zebra, a male albino lion, and a strange antelope-like creature that I couldn't identify sat in a row of cages.

The lion, given a sack of turnips, showed no interest in eating them. The zebra and the antelope were given Styrofoam trays of hamburger meat. The zebra's mane was matted with chewing gum, as if someone had been spitting on it. The antelope had a silver birthday balloon tied to one of its horns that read "OVER THE HILL!" It seemed nobody had dared to approach the lion, but it was pacing in a space far too small for its size, panting in the stifling heat of the trailer. Flies buzzed around its pink eyes, and its ribs protruded through its white fur.

"This is kindness?" Grover exclaimed in anger. "Humane zoo transport?"

He would have probably stormed out to confront the truckers with his reed pipes, but just then, the truck's engine roared to life, shaking the trailer, forcing us to sit down to avoid falling.

Thinking quickly, I focused on my bracelet, drawing heat from the surroundings. With a sound like a sucking of air, the heat was absorbed into my bangle.

Grover attempted to communicate with the animals with goat bleats, but they only stared at him with sorrowful eyes. Annabeth suggested breaking the cages and freeing them right away, but Percy wisely pointed out that it wouldn't make much of a difference until the truck stopped moving. Besides, I had a feeling we were a more appealing sight than turnips to the lion.

Percy found a water jug and refilled their bowls, then used Anaklusmos to pull the food out of their cages. He gave the meat to the lion and the turnips to the zebra and the antelope. Grover managed to calm the antelope, while Annabeth carefully removed the balloon from its horn. She wanted to cut the gum out of the zebra's mane, but we decided it would be too risky with the truck's constant jostling.

We promised the animals we would do more to help them in the morning and settled down for the night. Grover made a makeshift bed out of a turnip sack, while Percy lay on an old blanket beside him. Annabeth opened our bag of Double Stuf Oreos and nibbled on one half-heartedly, and I tried to lift our spirits by reminding everyone that we were halfway to Los Angeles. Halfway to our destination. It was only June fourteenth, and the solstice wasn't until the twenty-first. We had plenty of time.

Annabeth turned to me, breaking the silence. "Hey," she said, "I'm sorry for freaking out back at the water park, Y/N."

"That's okay," I whispered back, offering her a reassuring smile.

"It's just . . ." She shuddered. "Spiders."

"Because of the Arachne story," I guessed. "She got turned into a spider for challenging your mom to a weaving contest, right?"

Annabeth nodded. "Arachne's children have been taking revenge on the children of Athena ever since. If there's a spider within a mile of me, it'll find me. I hate the creepy little things. Anyway, I owe you."

"You don't owe me a thing," I said. "Besides, Grover did the fancy flying."

"I was pretty amazing, wasn't I?" Grover mumbled from the corner, and Annabeth and I couldn't help but chuckle.

In the midst of our laughter, Percy stirred, rubbing his eyes and stretching. Annabeth turned her attention to him, deep in thought.

"In the Iris message . . . did Luke really say nothing?" Annabeth asked, breaking the quiet once more.