36 final

J

I waved at my dad and Stella as their cab headed for the airport several days later. When I couldn't see them anymore, I walked to the gift shop that was closest to the ship, ready to collect final souvenirs before boarding again.

Tossing a new set of postcards into my basket, I walked over to the wall of monogrammed pens and searched for Lisa's name. When I found it, I picked up a matching hoodie and hat as well.

Since I had phone service here, I was planning to use my final half hour to respond to some of the text messages she'd sent.

Or maybe I should call...Maybe I should call from the ship so we can talk longer than thirty minutes.

Debating, I headed for the checkout line and set my stuff on the counter.

"So, you really weren't going to write me back?" A familiar deep voice said from behind. "You weren't going to contact me at all?"

What? I turned around and found myself face to face with Lisa. Her sexy blue eyes gleamed under the lights, and her lips curved up into a smile.

My heart damn near jumped out of my chest as she looked me up and down.

"I'm happy that you you're here and not in Moscow," she said, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear. "Otherwise, I would've had to wait to see you in China next month."

"You would've flown there just to see me?"

"In a heartbeat."

We stared at each other, and all the words I thought I wanted to say suddenly left my brain.

"Miss?" The cashier called. "Miss, do you want me to ring up your things?"

"She does," Lisa said, stepping past me and handing the cashier her credit card.

We said nothing as she took her time scanning and bagging my souvenirs, and when she was finished, Lisa handed me the bag and slipped her arm around my waist—walking me outside.

She led me over to a bench, but she didn't sit down. She just stared at me.

Not wanting to waste any of my remaining minutes, I let out a breath. "I was going to write you back. I just finished writing five letters this morning, and I was about to call or text you. I was still trying to see which one made more sense, so it wasn't like—"

"I fucking love you, Jennie." She interrupted my spiel. "I love you."

My heart sped up and she pressed her finger against my lips.

"You heard me," she said, smiling. "You don't have to ask me what I just said, but because I know you'll still need to hear it again..." She kissed my forehead. "I love you, Jennie Kim, and I 've loved you since I was seven and a half years old."

My eyes widened.

She ran her fingers through my hair. "I'm sorry for not thinking about you when I signed off to go to New York for a program I didn't even want to go to. That was beyond selfish, and you were right about me doing it for someone else's approval."

"Did you just say that you've loved me since we were seven and half years old?"

"Yes." She pulled me close and kissed me until I couldn't breathe. "Let me finish..." She waited until I'd caught my breath, then she rubbed her hands against my back. "I'm sorry for not telling you about New York first, for not being willing to stay like you were." She paused. "And I know you're about to get back on your ship, but I want you to know that I'll willing to go wherever you go from here on out to show you how much you've always meant to me. And as much as I enjoy writing you letters, I'd much rather see you in person every day."