22

J

I stood in front of my mirror and changed my outfit for the hundredth time. I'd never cared what I wore around Lisa, but since she insisted that she wanted to "finally" take me on my first real date, I was questioning everything.

It's just Lisa, Jennie...Just Lisa.

Reapplying my makeup, I settled on a pair of white jeans and a glittering purple tank top. Then I slipped into a pair of my silver wedge sandals and walked to the living room.

"Where the hell are you going?" JK sat up on the couch, looking me up and down. "It's a Tuesday night."

"I have a date."

"With your enemy?" He smiled. "Or your girlfriend? What are you two calling yourselves today?"

I laughed, avoiding the question.

"I was telling Lisa about some new house rules I've established for the two of you," he said. "Feel free to buy me a drink this week, and I'll tell you all about them."

"You still owe me a drink from my first week here, JK."

"Friends don't hold grudges, Jennie." He lay back on the cushions. "It's way past time to let that drink go. Also, tell Lisa she owes me fifty bucks for our bet."

"Will do." I walked to the front door. "What exactly was the bet?"

"That you both were full of shit," he said, laughing. "Now, get out so I can rest before my company gets here."

Laughing, I stepped outside and saw Lisa leaning against her car. She smiled at me—her little dimples deepening, as she looked me up and down. "Are you ready this time, or do you need another hour to change jeans again?"

"I need another hour." I headed to the other side of the car, but she blocked me.

"We're not going in my car," she said, pulling two helmets from the front seat. She pointed to the two mountain bikes near the mailbox.

"I thought you said that you were taking me out on a date."

"I am."

I stared at her, waiting for her to say, "just kidding," but those words never came.

"You may want to put some different shoes on for the ride," she said, popping her trunk. "You left a pair of tennis shoes in there."

Confused, I took them out and tucked my wedges into my purse. I put on my helmet and buckled it, following her to the bikes.

"Try to keep up with me," she said. "And if you fall off, try not to blame me for it like you did when we were nine."

"I blamed you because you literally picked me up and threw me off my bike, Lisa." I showed her my elbows. "I still have the scars to prove it."

She smiled and looked me over one last time before pedaling down the street.

The wind hit my back as I followed her head, and by the time we reached the stop sign, we were side by side like we used to be when we were forced to ride together as kids.

As the sun set ahead of us, we pedaled through the back lanes of campus, past Main Street's shops and eateries, and by the time the sun's light was fading, she slowed a bit and led me to a part of the beach I'd never seen before.

Clear of tourists and residents, there was a long row of pastel-colored park benches, a small coffee shop, and a lone vending machine that was full of chocolate bars.

"This is it." she stopped her bike in front of the machine. "Do you like it?"

I stopped and took off my helmet, looking around. As if she could tell how confused I was, she stepped closer and motioned for me to get off my bike. Then she locked it against the machine for me.

Clasping my hand, she walked me over to a yellow park bench. She wrapped her arm around my shoulders, and we stared at the ocean waves for several minutes.

"How am I stacking up against your first date list so far?" she asked.

"I told you I don't have any lists anymore."

She blinked.

"Okay, fine. If I'm being honest, you're failing."

"I don't see how," she said, tilting her head to the side. "You're not going to give me any bonus points?"

"Why would you get bonus points for making me ride my bike to a park bench, Lisa?"

A slow, sexy smile spread across her face, and she pressed her fingers under my chin. She tilted my head up, forcing me to see a blanket of stars against the darkening sky.

I stared at them in disbelief, feeling my heart skip a beat.

"Okay," I said, looking at her again. "You definitely get bonus points for that, but I still don't think that a park bench counts as a—"

She pressed her mouth against mine, and my sentence ended on her lips. She kissed me until I was breathless, making butterflies flutter wildly inside my chest.

"This part of the beach doesn't allow cars," she said softly, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear. "And the reason they don't allow cars is because the five-star restaurant that's down past the other park benches is owned by another hopeless romantic like you. She doesn't want her dinner guests to be distracted by anything other than their conversations and the sound of the ocean."

My jaw dropped, and she kissed me breathless all over again.

"Now..." She smiled and stood to her feet, pulling me up with her. "You have the stars, a private beach and a five-star restaurant, and a kiss."

"It wasn't a soul-searing one."

"I beg to differ." She pressed her hand against the small of my back. "Were there butterflies?"

"Not at all." I blushed. "I think you'd have to kiss me again before I can tell."

"Are you sure?" She smirked. "Or should we wait until after our mandatory conversation about books, art, and the things we love to do?"

"Did you keep a copy of my list?"

"I didn't have to," she said. "I've always remembered it."

"Well, why did you tell me all the things I wanted were unrealistic?"

"Because they are." She laughed, covering my mouth with hers. "With anyone else who isn't me."