30

J

One week later...

"I can't believe that I'm dating JK Charleston III," Rosé said, taking a seat next to me at Gayle's on a Thursday night. We'd weathered the hour-long wait for a table in the rain, and the waitress was making our night so far with endless cups of hot chocolate.

"Like, out of all the guys on this campus, I decide to go for one of the biggest ass-holes. The guy who walked up to me with the worst pickup line I've ever heard."

"He's also the mayor's son." I smiled, sipping my drink. "Doesn't that make dating him somewhat better?"

"Not at all." She laughed. "The sex does that."

"Is it that good?"

"Good isn't even the right word for it." She waved at him and Lisa as they walked into the diner. "I haven't gone a day without orgasms since we started dating."

Lisa kissed my cheek before sitting next to me, and JK signaled for the waitress.

"Sorry we're late," Lisa whispered. "JK wanted to stop for Rosé's birthday card."

I raised my eyebrow. "That's not until next month."

"He wanted to buy it before he forgot."

"Hey!" JK wagged his finger. "No whispering tonight, enemies. It's night one of a three week-long celebration and you'll have plenty of time later to do that whispering shit."

I shook my head. "What exactly are we celebrating?"

"Us getting a new roommate soon," he said, laughing. "But more importantly, Lisa moving to New York for business school next month."

WHAT?

"I'm sorry, what?" I looked at Lisa. "Next month?"

She nodded, smiling. "I made up my mind the other day. I planned to lay out all the details tonight since I know you'll have plenty of questions. You can even join me this weekend when I leave for my pre-campus visit. I'll be there for a full week, but I'd love for you to be there with me for some of the days." She kissed my cheek, and my blood ran cold.

"To New York dreams!" JK raised his cup for a toast, and Rosé and Lisa joined him.

I faked a smile and leaned back against the booth.

"To New York dreams!" they all said in unison one more time.

I sat still and listened as Lisa told them about all the things she was looking forward to in New York, all the plans and preparations she'd made without letting me in on a goddamn thing. Since she had plenty of credits and her professors had all conspired to waive her final semester of electives, she would be awarded her two degrees this winter.

Not that she would be able to attend her graduation, though.

There was a pre-campus visit this week, an orientation session two and a half weeks after that, and after one final week of intensive placement and specialty tests, she'd be taking classes six days a week once January came.

When JK insisted on showing Rosé the famous "Carter Ari" booth on the other side of the diner, I cleared my throat.

"Lisa?"

"Yes?" She smiled, turning me on and making me temporarily forget that I was upset.

"Can I talk to you outside for a minute?"

"Of course." She stood up and clasped my hand, leading me through the dining room and outside into the rain. She let up an umbrella and held it over my head, walking me to a nearby alley.