Chapter 7: Happy

I leave my office my mind cloudy

Her mum has cancer.

I can't even imagine the pain she's in.

How the fuck can Peneople be so happy all the fucking time when shit is happening to her?

She's always so cheery. So happy.

"Is she okay?" Nico asks as i slide my shirt off chucking it beside the fridge.

"I think she's got a cold." I mumble.

"She's pretty cool." Wes says.

"She's funny." Gavin laughs.

"She's mine, back off." I glare at them.

"Ha! I knew it would work." Wes exclaims and they all begin giggling to themselves.

Oh for fucks sake.

"See, we knew you liked her because you're never nice to anyone. But your voice goes all gentle and your like a big baby around her."

"I'm not a big baby."

My phone dings with a notification and i pull it out. I already know it's from Penelope from the message.

My lips twitch and i reply. It doesn't take long for her to message me back.

There's something about her that intrigues me.

I want to know her. Why is she so happy all the time? Why isn't she ever sad?

Today was the first time i'd seen her be sad and it made my stomach twist into a knot.

I feel like i'm drawn to her. I want to leave her alone. I want to not see her. But i can't.

She makes me feel things. And i haven't felt anything for a long time.

I put my phone back in my pocket and look at my friends as they are all staring at me.

"Fuck off."

"You can be nice to her and now us, rude." Nico puffs.

"Oh poor you." I roll my eyes and slide under the car.

~~

I scull a drink of water and grab my shirt.

"Is Penelope still here?" Gavin asks.