Chapter 2: Men

I wake up and my entire body is throbbing

I wake up and my entire body is throbbing. I couldn't even sleep on my back. The pain. The pain was too much.

I slowly get out of bed and stretch until my legs shake and my butt cheeks jiggle.

"Penelope?" I hear my mothers faint voice.

I take a deep breathe and open my door, going across the hall to my mum.

"Hi mama. How are you feeling?" I puff up her pillow and brush the hair off of her face.

"I'm okay, honey, you?"

"I'm good." I lie.

"What happened with your dad after i fell asleep?"

"I just helped him to bed." I smile.

I haven't told my mum what happens with dad. She has enough stress with her sickness as it is. And i don't want to change her opinion on dad.

The docters say she won't get better. So i want her last memories of him to be loving and happy, how they have been their whole life's.

She's partly deaf, i don't know if it's a side affect of the cancer or it just happened. So i think that's why she can't hear unless your right near her.

"Did you get the flowers?" A pale smile spreads her lips.

I nod, "Do you like them, mama? I can get different ones if you don't like them-i hope they don't make you sneeze, wait do they smell bad, i didn't really check, oh go-."

"P, honey, they are beautiful."

I nod, "Okay."

"Now go enjoy your day, the suns shining."

"Will you be okay?"

"Of course,"

I kiss her forehead before returning to my bedroom.

I peal off my singlet and turn around in the mirror looking at my back.

Bruises spread across in an array of colours. Blue, green, purple, black, yellow. I could make a rainbow.

I wipe my tears and quickly get dressed for the day making sure my outfit covers my back.